TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

vents on '66 marlin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vents on '66 marlin
    Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 11:12am
I know the phrase, "there are no stupid questions."  Well, I actually have one.  The three big vents in the middle of my dash don't seem to do anything at all.  My owners manual basically ignores them.  It seems they are just passageways from the induction between the hood and windshield.  But, even if I'm going 60, literally no air comes out of them.  Thoughts?
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 12:01pm
Those are A/C ducts.  Does your car still have the A/C system installed.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
dafox99 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 12:19pm
whoa .. odd.  It has the under dash cust-o-matic add on A/C.  There are no controls in the dash for a factory A/C that I can tell
dafox99 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 12:23pm
I just looked at some images on line.  Looks like maybe the controls were under the dash, and they replaced them with the cust-o-matic A/C?
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 1:38pm
I think I can help you with your car... amcramblermarlin.1colony.com

(edited this statement here to reduce confusion)

For parts or grins, see my 'Fantastic Hike in AMC Rambler Junkyard' picture album on Google+?

https://goo.gl/photos/n6UxJYnwTvzHP4t28

John's Auto Salvage Seguin Tx on web

also CTC Auto Ranch Denton Tx on web

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/20/2017 at 5:59pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 2:39pm
My '65 Classic had factory air; those are the vents for the factory air at dash level. What has probably transpired over the years with your Marlin is that the factory A/C went dead and the owner at that time replaced the inside equipment at least, with aftermarket or dealer A/C parts. Mine was missing the compressor, condensor, lines, mounts, and control head, so I removed the rest of the interior parts and modified (simplified) the evaporator box to function as a simple heater plenum.  The center vents are probably the clunkiest looking part of the factory A/C system IMHO, and Rambler didn't have the space to add "normal" A/C venting behind the dash like many other domestics had. I fabricated a dash insert to close that space until I locate a proper Rambler part.
dafox99 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 3:05pm
Thanks, R-Man!  Yeah .. that makes perfect sense.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 5:58pm
Oh hey, I just noticed you are located in Austin... you should know about John's Auto Salvage in Seguin Tx.-they have a good selection of used parts for these mid sixties Ramblers ...even a '66 Marlin which can be seen in the picture album mentioned above.

...FYI most other cars did not come with A/C back then... '69 AMC Ambassador was first US car to have A/C as standard equipment!

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/20/2017 at 6:03pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic