TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

steering column

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steering column
    Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 7:21am
what is the purpose of the clamp with a bolt thur it that is on the lower portion of the steering column. and how do you lengthen the lower shaft?
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 7:26am
Need more information on the vehicle. My '65 Classic has a clamp just below the mast jacket that seems to be there to stop the shaft from going up the jacket. Doesn't seem very effective if that's the purpose. I know that my home made rag joint isn't the proper thickness and makes my steering wheel bind on the collar, so I need to make it thicker or buy a new one.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 8:47am
Yes you need to provide your make, model and tear.  If that "clamp" you are talking about is the aluminum piece under the steering column behind the dash on late 60,s and newer, then its a safety feature (collapsible steering column) that cannot be modified and TSM should be used for installation.
A picture or part number may help also.  
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 10:20am
edited after I went and looked at mine on a '75 Gremlin ^like they said^ it looks multi-functional; to hold the spring loaded bushing but also where it'll slip telescopically if the car is in severe front on collision... -proper names & description will be in AM TSM

Edited by amcenthusiast - Oct/20/2017 at 12:46pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 12:48pm
72 gremlin manual steering tsm does not address it as to function or anything else.
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 6:05pm
The lower shift slides inside the middle section of the shaft and the upper section is similar to the lower section. The shaft is not really meant to come apart and I think the TSM tells you it is not serviceable and needs to be replaced as a unit.

That said you will see that on the flat section of the middle bit of the shaft a couple of small holes filled with plastic, the lower (inner) shaft has a couple of grooves around it's circumference and it appears that plastic is injected here to keep everything in position. If you carefully apply brute force, you should be able to pull the lower shaft out, I say carefully, because there is a similar slip joint at the top and you don't really want to disturb that.

I've just been reassembling mine and what I did was drill the holes here the plastic is injected out to a slightly larger diameter and fill the cavity with a hot glue gun.

I think the purpose of the clamp is just to make sure that the lower section of the column collapses correctly, I can imagine over time things would corrode and the lower shaft might not slide inside the middle section like it is supposed to. It also provides a little more certainty that the lower bearing can't come out.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

The lower shift slides inside the middle section of the shaft and the upper section is similar to the lower section. The shaft is not really meant to come apart and I think the TSM tells you it is not serviceable and needs to be replaced as a unit.

That said you will see that on the flat section of the middle bit of the shaft a couple of small holes filled with plastic, the lower (inner) shaft has a couple of grooves around it's circumference and it appears that plastic is injected here to keep everything in position. If you carefully apply brute force, you should be able to pull the lower shaft out, I say carefully, because there is a similar slip joint at the top and you don't really want to disturb that.

I've just been reassembling mine and what I did was drill the holes here the plastic is injected out to a slightly larger diameter and fill the cavity with a hot glue gun.

I think the purpose of the clamp is just to make sure that the lower section of the column collapses correctly, I can imagine over time things would corrode and the lower shaft might not slide inside the middle section like it is supposed to. It also provides a little more certainty that the lower bearing can't come out.

I rebuilt my 68/69 steering column when shortening the shaft and housing for my customised u jointed steering shaft install.

My bottom bearing was fairly stiff in It's rolling action (gummy dried up lube). The wire clip only holds in 3 slotted sections, to retain the bearing. My feeling the clip is to locate but not to firmly retain like a c clip would. If the bearing should seize it It's possible the clip can jump out at its corners, allowing the plastic bearing cup to pop out. The clamp, spring and plastic spacer assembly would catch and locate the free bottom bearing cup, so that the steering shaft does not free float.

We can only guess exactly how that section of the steering column assembly for safety and function.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 7:07pm
The whole collapsible column assembly is a pretty complicated piece of engineering when you look at it.
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2017 at 7:39am
thank you to all that gave information
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic