TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T96J with torque tube.. What are my options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 5:53pm
I have news.

I found the super rare HD option transmission for the 232.. The T86E. Its been sitting on their shelf for years. They don't have the bellhousing or anything else (it does still have its torque tube adapter and OD unit). The car was crushed long ago (66 ambassador). Looks a little crusty from the pic they sent but they only want $75.00. 

So.... Of course I will buy it because I will never find another and its superior equipment to what I have now however this one has a worn first gear they said. I am driving to visit my mother for thanksgiving and will pick it up then since I'll be significantly closer.

I am going to consult my parts book when I get home to see if the standard torque tube and bell housing is going to work and if I can obtain a new cluster gear and first gear on epay. (I am thinking this shouldn't be toooooo hard since they used this trans for all V8 cars and it aught to be the same cluster gear for all models (I hope).

I am going to keep all my T96 stuff and keep adding to my collection of parts until I can rebuild it one day and keep it around as a spare.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 10:36pm
oh heck yes buy that boatanchor!  good find! if first is worn likely the cluster gear may be too. i'd take the T86 apart before you buy parts. i doubt they're the same, but i have good T96 cluster gear(s) here. used but very good. 

there's no sense cracking the case without changing all the bearings and bronze synchros. 

you need a "special tool" to assemble the rollers into the countershaft and case. you really do need it... for the T96 i had access to a crappy lathe and made one. but for the T14, i found that standard household 1/2" copper plumbing pipe was nearly the exact size! and since it's copper, no nicking things.

make sure the snap rings are all seated in their grooves. i neglected to check once, and ruined a transmission i'd just rebuilt. 'correctly seated' on this close-tolerance stuff means checking it with a tiny hammer and punch, tapped around the circumference of the snap ring to make sure it's seated.

congratulations!

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2017 at 7:00am
Great find! Check e-bay for the gears, but you might want to check Northwest Transmission and those guys in Greenville SC before you buy. The T-96 gears definitely won't work, but as TomJ says, you probably need a main cluster gear set as well.

I don't remember how I set the rollers when I rebuilt a T-96 long ago. I don't remember any special tool... might have used a dowel. Or more likely used axle grease to stick the rollers in place. The little bit if grease will dissolve in gear oil after just a minute or less of operation. I do recall using grease (or vaseline) and a rubber band on the OD free-wheel clutch rollers. The rubber band will easily disintegrate .
Frank Swygert
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2017 at 12:18pm
Don't throw away that transmission just yet TomJ. I'm going to pick up the T86 but its not a direct swap and I fear it could be another money pit. I did a little digging and AMC used a special deeper bellhousing for this transmission and of course, the junkyard lost it. They also used a special shorter torque tube. The only thing this thing has going for it is that it has the torque tube adapter on the end.

It would be alot of work to change the shifter linkages, make a spacer for the bellhousing, shorten the torque tube, and move the crossmember back and I would effectively close the door on ever being able to use the T96J + sinking more money into hard to find parts. 

I still need a better OD unit and its literally the same casting number R10B-1U on the T86. It might... even have the adapter plate that would swap over with the right bearing so I'm definitely still going to pick it up and who knows maybe I will use it one day.

I have been collecting T96J parts from ebay and I have a new cluster gear, new output shaft, synchro rings, rebuild kit and gaskets. These were all T96J specific.

I need: counter shaft (same as any T96), First gear (same as any T96), that adapter plate (I can use any T96 plate with the smaller bearing), Input shaft (T96J specific), Synchro hub (T96J specific)

The parts show up on epay, if money is no object, I can get all these parts from this guy in norway but I'm trying to keep it less of a money pit. Really I only need two parts that are T96J specific. This is encouraging!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2017 at 11:55pm
it's all here, if a crowd shows up outside the gate clamoring for the parts i have i'll beat them off with a stick and call you ASAP. hope you can sleep at night with all the tension! lol 

YOU NEVER KNOW!

uhuh

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 7:32am
I wouldn't be concerned about not being able to use the T96 again... unless you think you or someone might want to do a 100% resto later. The T86 is so much stronger/better that I just don't see that as an issue, personally. Plus it was a factory HD option even if you had to make it fit. If anything, someone would more likely want to swap in a later model drivetrain at a later date and ditch the torque tube altogether. That still might be the easier thing for you to do, or at least no more work than keeping it. A 4.0L, even if you stick a carb on it, would be a great option... or a 258...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic