TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

recommended 5 speed gearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 6:39am
I run 3.55 gears, 0.70 OD (early AW4 auto), 26" tires, 70 at 2250 rpm. 80 is 2500 rpm, but the 4.0L computer starts enriching the fuel mixture for more power about 2400 rpm, so I keep it under that. Plus the aerodynamic drag on a 63 Classic is pretty harsh at 80 mph... so between the two fuel mileage suffers a lot! Tests in the 70s showed that anything over 65 mph increased aero drag exponentially, though that seems to have moved up to about 70-75 with today's aerodynamic cars. Even my 2003 Tundra is more aero than the 63 Classic!
Frank Swygert
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 6:56am
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

You're also limited by how wide the gear spread of your transmission is,
the T-10 in my AMC has the tall 2.23 first,
so the 3.91 rear was put there to make 1st gear work well,
spinning 4000rpms at 80 was more or less an unintended consequence.

[QUOTE=DaemonForce]I'm starting to think it doesn't really matter what I choose for tires because the end goal is to make use of my OD option. I just noticed that if I go to 3.54 gears, engaging OD is the same function as going from a 3.54 set straight back to 2.72! This means all this calculating and scrambling around that I've been doing to figure this out is pointless. I have to change to at least this 3.54 ratio or lower and since I can't go any lower, that's all there is to it. Pinch

Which is why I ultimately went with the 3.31:1 rear for the T5 I have.  3.34:1 first with that rear makes for a short first gear "sprint", but it is still usable.  2nd gear is 1.94, 3rd is 1.34 (iIrc), 4th is 1:1 and 5th is .68.  So, the 3.31:1 rear makes the best use off all gears past 1st.  If I had the T5z's 2.95:1 first gear set, I would go with at least 3.54 rear gears but would most likely push for 3.73 as 5th in that trans is .63.  G-Force has a gearset option that drops 1st all the way to 2.42: and alters 2nd and possibly 3rd, as well as a taller 5th (iIrc).  I'd love to have that trans and use a 4.10:1 rear.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic