TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

291C Heads / Accessory mount holes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 291C Heads / Accessory mount holes
    Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 1:51pm
My 70 390 heads are ready to install, but they are not marked left and right.  Each head has two mounting holes on one end, and each head has three mounting holes on the other end.  I am assuming the ends with the three threaded holes/mounting bosses, go towards the front of the engine and the ends with two go towards the back?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 2:06pm
They can only be put on one way. Left side will have a different number of holes and location spots than the right side.

The only difference over later heads is the left is missing the upper hole for later AC pump bracket, and the auto tranny fill tube mounting may have different hole location. Old and newer power steering pump brackets fit right side.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by DoughertyAMX DoughertyAMX wrote:

My 70 390 heads are ready to install, but they are not marked left and right.  Each head has two mounting holes on one end, and each head has three mounting holes on the other end.  I am assuming the ends with the three threaded holes/mounting bosses, go towards the front of the engine and the ends with two go towards the back?

There is no left or right, you can't put them on wrong.

-Steve-

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 4:11pm
I owned a 1970 390, -Steve- is 100% correct.

That is unless someone added a hole or two.....
Gremlin Dreams
DoughertyAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoughertyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 6:40pm
Well that makes it easier!  Hadn't even tried to install yet and just assumed there was a left and a right.  Have worked on way too many SB Chebbies.......Embarrassed......   
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 8:00pm
They are missing the hole for the throttle pressure linkage for a 904-998-727 but the plate can easily be extended to use the other bolt hole...ran into this with my sons project
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic