TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Will a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 exhaust header fit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 exhaust header fit?
    Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 5:42pm
Will a Jeep 4.0 exhaust header fit my 72 Gremlin with a 258? 

Wondering what the compatibility is??

thanks,
Kensey
Gremmy Power!!!
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 6:04pm
No it won't fit.

If you'll look close at a 4.0 head and compare it with a 258 you'll see the difference in the port layouts.

The 4.0 are all round ports and individual,   the 258 rounded square are the center 2 are siamesed. 
The 258 intake and exhaust ports are all on one level,  the 4.0 the intake and exhaust ports are on slightly different levels.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 6:11pm
On the 1972 head? Nada. But alot of people swap the 4.0 head to get the header to fit. Personally, I would put a 2 1/2 pipe right off the stock manifold and run that all the way back. I know there's going to be people telling you about backpressure and all that. But I've put big pipe on stock exhaust manifolds, and it was a decent gain, and reliable. I've done it enough times t
Now. And the important thing is to run a complete exhaust. Don't believe you'll burn valves. Trick is run a complete exhaust. When you drag race, why do engines run faster with open headers? Think about that. I'm going to tell you like it is. But it's your car.
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 8:16pm
THANKS! There's one on my local Craigs List I had my eye on. 
Gremmy Power!!!
bubbarules1958 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbarules1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 8:38pm
I have two 4.0 headers laying around if you need pics or measurements.
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2017 at 9:18pm
Thanks bubbarules, but I just needed to know if one would fit my 258. 

Gremmy Power!!!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2017 at 11:13am
You can MAKE a 4.0L header fit, but requires some work. The different levels isn't a big deal, because you will need to cut the flange off the 4.0L header and make a new one to fit he 258. The center tubes have to be bent slightly to touch then welded together. Any good welder can do it, not sure it's worth the cost though. You can get a used 4.0L head, header, and valve cover from a pick-n-pull yard for less than you can buy a new 258 header from Clifford and be way ahead of the performance game, even if the head needs rebuilding. Modding a 4.0L header would be a bit less than the Clifford, and probably as good -- especially if you split the flange and run a pair of 1.75" pipes. I'd run no larger than 2.25" single pipe on a street performace engine, but 2.5" won't be too big -- I just don't think there would be any gain (maybe at very high rpm) and the 2.25" should be easier to fit under the car.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic