TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'94 Jeep Steering Box into '72 Javelin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '94 Jeep Steering Box into '72 Javelin
    Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:17pm

I picked up a used 12.7 ratio Jeep steering box from a '94 Grand Cherokee today. I've read through some previous threads and there seems to be some confusion about mounting these to the Javelin.  Some say only two of the mounting holes will line up with the frame, and others say it works fine if you use the original mounting adapter plate.  My '72 isn't here right now, but I just measured my '69, which I assume is the same, and it definitely won't fit using the stock adapter plate, so I wonder if anyone makes an adapter to accomplish this? 

Another thread said I could take the guts out of the Jeep box and put it into the original case.  Has anyone here tried that?

I understand about the input shaft and hose coupler differences, but I did not expect there to be a difference in the case.  I thought all 800 Saginaws were the same except that some had three holes and some had four.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2017 at 9:30pm
Just found this thread.  Apparently only two of the holes line up, and my measurements seem to confirm that.  So, an adapter plate seems to be needed unless I am willing to live with just two bolts.  That sounds a bit risky to me.

Still wondering if it's possible to be the Jeep box guts into the original case though.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 12:21pm
An update on this for anyone considering this steering box upgrade... do it!  I went ahead and put the junk yard Jeep box into the Javelin. For about $150 (for the box, new rag joint, fittings & fluids)  I now have a car that drives like a modern car.  All it needs now is an overdrive transmission to be a fantastic highway cruiser!  

Edited by CamJam - Dec/12/2017 at 12:28pm

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 4:46pm
And how did you mount it?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 5:10pm
Two of the three bolts line up as is.  I'm fabricating an adapter out of plate steel for the 3rd. Not entirely sure it's necessary, but I prefer not to take chances when it comes to steering.  I'm told that on the mid-60s Ramblers all three holes line up.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Two of the three bolts line up as is.  I'm fabricating an adapter out of plate steel for the 3rd. Not entirely sure it's necessary, but I prefer not to take chances when it comes to steering.  I'm told that on the mid-60s Ramblers all three holes line up.

Did you need the triangular spacer that goes between the box and frame? If so obtain an aircraft grade aluminum plate of similar thickness as the spacer and mounting plate. You can thread the custom spacer plate to mount if a nut cannot fit behind it.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2017 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Did you need the triangular spacer that goes between the box and frame? If so obtain an aircraft grade aluminum plate of similar thickness as the spacer and mounting plate. You can thread the custom spacer plate to mount if a nut cannot fit behind it.

I used the standard adapter. The third hole misses by about an inch. Just needs something to bridge the gap.

akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2017 at 3:36pm
The Jeep box you just installed is a later casting where GM omitted the rear upper mounting ear on the steering box. I think GM started doing this in the mid ‘70s. GM did this because as far as I know they never used that ear on their own cars. The only applications I know of are AMC cars and Jeeps.
I unfortunately can’t think of a cheap way to mount that box with all three bolts in your car. The only way is to weld an ear to either the bracket or the steering gear box. I think the Jeep box you used is a Saginaw 700 so the internals aren't identical. The best approach is probably to modify or make a new mounting bracket.

The Jeep box you chose is considered an excellent swap candidate in to earlier GM cars. Another potential cheap source for a 12.7:1 is a box from a ‘99 v8 Dodge Durango.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic