TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 harmonic balancers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 harmonic balancers
    Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 9:33am
So, tell me what changed in 1975 that makes the harmonic balancer different from the years preceding it? Can I use the later version on my '65 232?
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 10:06am
I would assume the timing mark? And pulleys....
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 10:33am
doing some impromptu research via roackauto and finding that the timing scale and relevant marks were moved to the driver's side of the front cover for 75-on. There may be some offset to the belt groove but I don't see why that couldn't be dealt with. Going to check with a jeep guy here at work and see what he thinks. Gotta love a basic engine design that stayed in production for over forty years
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 10:41am
Yep, I built a 232 for a 1976 Gremlin using a 1972 fresh long block.  I think the balancer changed when AMC went to the Delco 10si alternator in about 1975.  The alternator moved to the passenger side of the block either high or low depending upon whether there was A/C.   I think AMC moved the timing marks over to the driver side because the new bracketry obscured the old marks depending on the accessories o the motor.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 12:25pm
that's the kind of knowledge sharing that makes this site wonderful. Now I got some alternatives to work with. Wheels are turning....
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 6:21am
I believe the timing mark change occurred in 74 along with the whole timing cover... but might have been 75 models. The bolt sizes change along with several accessory brackets and positions. Some of the timing cover bolts were made larger and the cover with bigger bosses to mount accessories.Timing marks and the indicator on the cover moved also. Other than that you can run the older balancer, just remember to re-mark it and/or ignore the original marks. If you set timing by ear or vacuum gauge the marks don't matter.
Frank Swygert
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 9:45am
hmm. more to mull over. Wasn't aware that any bolts changed, but this is my first 232. Used to my old Falcon sixes using 99 percent of the same hardware all the way through.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic