TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

200r4 swap ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by DaemonForce DaemonForce wrote:

I believe the 700R4 is a common issue transmission behind the AMC V8 WITH AN ADAPTER from the factory on most late 70's Jeeps. Still haven't found any in the yards but there's quite a few people on Facebook selling drivetrains like that and they claim it's factory. Ermm
1973 and older Jeeps used a TH 400 nail head case with an adapter. 1974-79, The case was cast with the AMC bellhousing..no adapter needed.   As for the TH700R4, It didn't come out until 1982, and most of them used the Chevy pattern, a few used the 2.8 v6 pattern which later 2.5s also used. None ever had the BOP pattern. The 2004R .. >most of them were dual pattern. And the case is all one piece, which means you can't bolt a transfer case to it. This is from 20+ years from doing transmissions remove and replace. I could probably rebuild one. I've taken them apart as well.
oldguy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:57pm
I was going to mention those two
I have an advance in the AMX. Those guys were very helpful when I changed engines
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 2:02pm
I am a little confused here. As I recall the transfer case is behind the transmission and I had to take that off before taking out the transmission. How did the TH400 get to the 360 without an adapter?  
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by vinny vinny wrote:

I am a little confused here. As I recall the transfer case is behind the transmission and I had to take that off before taking out the transmission. How did the TH400 get to the 360 without an adapter?  

The AMC version of the Th400 was a unique case. I have a 78, and did not know 74 had been the starting year, as I thought it was a 3 year run only.

No adapter, other than the crank flange bushing being different than the TF 727/904 version and the odd flex plate.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by jimd jimd wrote:

I looked at the site. I didn't see any adapter for amc or torque converters

You wont find it listed on the web site.
I contacted the owner and asked if he had a solution for AMC to 200 4R.
He offered AMC ultabell, flexplate, converter and and alignment bush as a kit.
The have all the details to get the converter correct.

jimd View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 9:59pm
Did he give you any prices ?
Aus69Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aus69Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by jimd jimd wrote:

Did he give you any prices ?

Price was $800 for kit but that was 18 months ago.
I think it is good value compared to an adaptor plate.
JW Ultrabell is great idea if you plan to go to the track.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2017 at 11:53am
I used a 2004R behind the 360 in my Javelin with a Novak adapter a while ago. I bought the Novak adapter when I built the car in Hawaii due to the unavailability of 2 wheel drive AMC transmissions in Hawaii. Not hard to find a GM transmission, though.

I was running a TH-350 before and the 2004R is the same length, so I didn't have to do any driveshaft work. The 2004R has a closer 1-2 ratio. The 700R4 has a deep 1st gear. In a truck, that might be nice. In a car with a 2.87 rear gear, it could be ok. But anything like a 3.73 and lower and the 700R4 ends up with an almost worthless 1st gear in a lot of situations, IMO. There are a lot of options out there for building a bulletproof 2004R. And the converters are out there too, lock-up and non-lockup. I had a 3500 stall for a while and also ran a 2000 stall.

For me, the Novak piece is definitely worth it for the transmission options. A used TH350 can be had for beans and built cheaply. If you're patient, a 2004R can eventually be found for a decent price too.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic