TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

egr question for Pacer 258 engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2017 at 9:04pm
I have never seen my 1977 232 (which is a very similar engine configuration to your own) knock without its EGR, even when I advanced the timing way up and it was running lean. It takes a lot to make one of these engines knock.

If you run EGR, you will need the CTO. A cold engine will not like having exhaust dumped into it's intake. It will hesitate and bog at best, backfire and stall at worst.

If your Pacer is a 1975 or 1976, the backpressure transducer is a separate part from the EGR valve. It is a plate that bolts between the AGR valve and the exhaust manifold that has a tube coming from it and a diaphragm-looking thing. The way that system should be plumbed is: carburetor ported vacuum from the "E" port on the carburetor goes to the CTO, then from the CTO it goes to the BP transducer (I'm not sure which end), then finally to the EGR valve. The proper EGR valve will stay open if you apply vacuum to it then seal off the vacuum. However, the transducer should leak vacuum if you apply vacuum to one side of it while sealing off the other side. It needs backpressure from the running engine to actually seal and pass vacuum to the EGR valve. 

If your Pacer is 1977 or newer, the EGR valve has the backpressure transducer built-in. The vacuum line from the CTO simply plugs into the EGR valve. The proper EGR valve for this system will not hold vacuum. If you apply vacuum to it, the vacuum will just leak out. It needs backpressure from the engine to hold vacuum and cause it to open. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
dodgemahal View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgemahal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2017 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

I have never seen my 1977 232 (which is a very similar engine configuration to your own) knock without its EGR, even when I advanced the timing way up and it was running lean. It takes a lot to make one of these engines knock.

If you run EGR, you will need the CTO. A cold engine will not like having exhaust dumped into it's intake. It will hesitate and bog at best, backfire and stall at worst.

If your Pacer is a 1975 or 1976, the backpressure transducer is a separate part from the EGR valve. It is a plate that bolts between the AGR valve and the exhaust manifold that has a tube coming from it and a diaphragm-looking thing. The way that system should be plumbed is: carburetor ported vacuum from the "E" port on the carburetor goes to the CTO, then from the CTO it goes to the BP transducer (I'm not sure which end), then finally to the EGR valve. The proper EGR valve will stay open if you apply vacuum to it then seal off the vacuum. However, the transducer should leak vacuum if you apply vacuum to one side of it while sealing off the other side. It needs backpressure from the running engine to actually seal and pass vacuum to the EGR valve. 

If your Pacer is 1977 or newer, the EGR valve has the backpressure transducer built-in. The vacuum line from the CTO simply plugs into the EGR valve. The proper EGR valve for this system will not hold vacuum. If you apply vacuum to it, the vacuum will just leak out. It needs backpressure from the engine to hold vacuum and cause it to open. 

Junkie, thank-you! That is some seriously great literature......I'm learning a good deal from you and others and I love it. Love the car too. 
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/07/2017 at 7:31pm
so, op, what year is your Pacer? gz
we really can't help a lot without some engine specifics.
george z
dodgemahal View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgemahal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2017 at 9:26am
MY 76, 258 1 barrel carb. Thanks.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2017 at 11:36am
hi, look under "ported vacuum switch", good luck, gz
george z
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2017 at 8:47pm
The correct vacuum nipple for the EGR on your carburetor is on the passenger's side of the carb. Literally sticks straight out towards the valve cover.

The other nipple on the passenger side that sticks out angled towards the front more is for the distributor advance.

And you may have another nipple on the driver's side of the carburetor. That one is manifold vacuum and was usually used for the Air Guard (smog pump system) diverter valve. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic