TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

New Mail Jeep Owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAWLUKE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Mail Jeep Owner
    Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 7:40am
Hello to all, I am new to this website. I was wondering if anyone knows a place to get good replacement parts for the DJ-5M. This particular project was given to me by a friend. He tells me that the motor was running when he parked it, as I am sure everyone says. Either way the motor is not frozen I can spin the fly wheel, there is no water in the oil. I put a battery on it yesterday and the lights and windshield wipers came on. This particular model (forgive me for not posting the model number)has an automatic transmission and it is a left side drive. The engine is a 4 cylinder (not sure the make). My question is, is there a safety switch on the shift mechanism that will not allow the starter to engage? I want to spin the engine over but get nothing when I turn the key.

This is a project for me and my son. I am anticipating needing seats, doors, door tracks, latches, hoses, belts, wiring, spark plugs, distributor cap, intake filter, intake hose, muffler, gas tank, gas tank cap, lights, seat belts, switches for the dash, etc. Any literature on these jeeps would be greatly appreciated.

I can be reached at 3378520278 I am in South Louisiana so if you kwon of a dealer in this area that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Lawman
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 1:07pm
Starter type is the old inertia model that uses an external solenoid control. The parking pawl most likely has some neutral safety switch that engages and disengages along the shifter. If it's gone, it's most likely missing(along with the start engagement trigger) or conveniently shorted to where it will start in any shifter position. Just be safe with it. Put it in park and short the solenoid trigger with a momentary switch to start it. The 4cyl is typically an Audi 2.0L that is popular in the yards and rare to find in good running shape. The other possibility is the AMC 2.5L which I have never found. The MPFI evolution of this engine sits pretty under the hood of most Comanche pickups.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2017 at 5:48pm
There is a man in Boaz, AL that has all the TSM's for the postal jeeps. Very good to have. Goggle him.

I have a 74 postal jeep. I got both doors and hardware for sale.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic