TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970-72 seat foam to become available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by 70amcpwr 70amcpwr wrote:

Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

I spoke to them Monday and they said they'd be available "in days". Guess it's time!

-Steve-

Did they confirm the Machine seat foam is the same as the Javelin?

I didn't ask about that and he didn't say so.

Originally posted by 68-73 amx 68-73 amx wrote:

From what I understand ,70 - 72 seat bottom has no structure in the foam to hold your weight , just the thickness of the foam and the seat frame. 73-74 has a wire support molded into the seat bottom about half way thru , it rests on top of the seat frame to hold your weight across the frame, even with the wire support after time it sags. From what I see from foam seat pictures ,your only buying the foam that sits on top of the 73-74 wire support or the 70-72 piece from the top of the seat frame up .not buying the foam that goes underneath that supports your weight . Wish they sold them when I did my 73 seats ,I spend a lot of time building up my seats side support and bottom . The new seat bottom would save a lot time. from what I see , the seat back could be used on 73-74 it would need to be thined down as 70-72 seat backs are almost twice as thick, If your seat back foam is a little worn-out just open the bottom of the seat back and carefully stuff fiber fill ( 1/2 inch thick) comes in the flat , this will take out wrinkles and sags  and give back support.

They used that horsehair/burlap material between the seat springs and foam in '70. Here's what my original rear seats look like. I'll have to check the fronts

-Steve-

Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2017 at 9:51am
**UPDATE**

Found a photo of the backside of my Machine's bucket seat.

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2017 at 8:45pm

Here are my freshly upholstered 1972 seats with Legendary upholstery and their new foam.  The foam is not super firm like most modern cars are, but it feels good and is a huge improvement over the old worn out foam I had.  I no longer need to sit on a pillow and the seats are quite comfortable.  The upholstery lady said that both seats had a broken outside spring, which she repaired.

I see a few places where the upholstery is a little puckered, but I'm hoping that those will go away once the seats sit in the sun for awhile. It's been pretty cool here lately, though it did get up to 70 degrees here today. 

Edited by CamJam - Dec/29/2017 at 5:50am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2017 at 10:02pm
Those look nice! "It's been pretty cool here lately, though it did get up to 70 degrees here today. " WOW, how that temperature is a relative thing - the high here in sunny Ohio was a frigid 15°! LOL I'm sure glad I invested in radiant floor heat in my shop when I built it because it's 70° in there. Big smile

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2017 at 10:11pm
Yeah, all the storms have been going north of us this winter and it's supposed to be warm here all week.  We normally start getting winter storms after Thanksgiving, but I don't think we've had any rain now since September!  I'm at 3,400 feet and it gets into the 20s at night, but normal daytime temps here this time of year are usually in the 50s and 60s. 

Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2017 at 7:14pm
wow Cam they look fantastic!! Your car is looking amazing

B.
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 7:48am
Cam... That car is looking fantastic!

Great job on the seats and the rest of the work you're doing.

Thank you for keeping us up to speed on the Legendary seat foam.

Rich C.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2017 at 8:01am
Thanks guys. Interior looks good now but exterior still needs some work. As anyone who has visited a car advertised on EBay or Craigslist knows, photos definitely have a way of making a car look better than it is.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic