TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Bought Myself a Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 6:27am
Well I ended up selling the black Jeep fairly quickly, decided it needed too much work to do what I wanted, sort of regretted it ever since, well not really, it did need a lot of work, but did have a decent body. Was good to see it pop up recently looking much better with a new backyard paint job.

I've been back in the hunt for a while and managed to pick up this beauty today:

It's in pretty decent survivor condition and is running the 258 inline six with a 5 speed manual transmission, quite a rare combination in this country as most were 360 automatics. Hopefully wont take too much to get it on the road, does run and drive. 
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 10:05am
Aerodynamically that front bumper may be an improvement over the Gremlin. 
Pat Gary
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by PAGAENT PAGAENT wrote:

Aerodynamically that front bumper may be an improvement over the Gremlin. 

Lightweight too, made of aluminum.

PAGAENT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PAGAENT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2023 at 3:25pm
Are your rules strict about retaining factory sheet metal & accessories? Did AMC produce any GT parts for the Gremlin that you might copy if none are available? My Pinto was originally a 71 model but I swapped later parts & turned it into a 77. It had aluminum bumpers, better grill and headlight surrounds and the all important deck spoiler which allowed speeds above 180, that probably was more important than the air dam for stability as well as traction. Your software demo is a really great tool, is there a 3-D camera available for more precise calc's? In the past I have seen stainless deflectors mounted above the rear window to force air down maybe to keep the window clean but would help relieve some drag. Extending your belly pan from the center crossmember up to the radiator would clean up some turbulence also. Study your rules carefully to see what is allowed. At the end of the day enjoy that it's not an LS Camaro.
Pat Gary
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2023 at 9:21am
The Jeep should be just the thing for towing the race car around if the old Aussie advertising is to be believed:

Kicked things off by using the trailer as a bit of a wash bay and hit the underside with the Karcher to get the accumulated mud off, pretty happy with the general lack of rust on the bottom of it:

First cab off the rank will be some new rear brakes:

Rear springs are a bit interesting, not sure if the leaf on the bottom is factory or an added override spring:

First Rockauto order is in, lots of brake stuff, some engine gaskets and new radiator hoses, has been off the road since 2008 if the old rego sticker on the windscreen is anything to go by.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2023 at 7:32pm
While I was waiting on parts orders, I decided to do the first restoration job, pulled the towbar off:

Did away with the unnecessary brackets, not sure if they were for maybe swing out spare tire mounts or some sort of load distribution system for for towing, but they were pretty ugly and most likely to be the source of future injuries. Gave it a bit of a sand blast and a fresh coat of paint:

If you thought modern day 3500 kg towing capacities were a bit of a stretch, how about this, hard to imagine the old 258 would be capable of shifting 4500 kg.

Well the rear brake fix escalated somewhat:

Just needed a bit of a clean up, factory LSD in the AMC 20, probably worn full to full slip now, but will get some fresh oil at least:

I do like the added drinks holder:

Sadly I suspect I'll need to cut that off to pass the licensing inspection. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic