TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Throwout Bearing?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2017 at 1:58pm
The tip of the input shaft is supported by the pilot bushing. If it is worn the input can chatter around the inside of the bushing. This chatter is what you hear. The bushing is supposed to be self lubricating but lots of them are dried out. I set them on my finger tip and fill the inside with oil and cover with another finger and press, you can see the oil wick through them. Then install.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2018 at 9:29am
Just wanted to update this thread since I had so much great feedback and suggestions on my problem.

Turns out it was the pilot bushing and release bearing. The fellow that repaired it for me thinks the clutch was adjusted up too tight causing the bearing to engage all the time. Guess I should have checked the adjustment when I first got the car. Also found that the transmission mount was shot. The rubber was broken up so bad it basically was dropped to the bottom. I kind of wonder myself if this might have been more the cause of the other failures?? I know the transmission is firmly attached to the bell housing and to the engine but without tail support it must have but some force on the shaft / bushing? Any rate I'm back running in time for the cruise season.  Thanks for all the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic