TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

NHRA Indy....9/1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NHRA Indy....9/1
    Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 7:14pm
AH Adkins won his class SS/B with his 69 AMX on a Holeshot today.......YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....
Jim....AMCRC
Treasure Valley AMC Club, Pres
69 AMX 401/727
74 GremlinX 401/727race only
73 Matador 2dr HT 360/727
Judo390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judo390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 7:21pm
Still flying the AMC flag on a national stage!
amcjock1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcjock1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/01/2017 at 8:34pm
I will add my YA!!!!!!! to Jim's post!!!

Jock Jocewicz
NAMDRA President
namdra1@yahoo.com
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2017 at 7:45pm
No Fords or Chevys running SS/B at Indy Nats? ...just kiddn

truly remarkable though, and encouraging to hear this

Thanks for letting us know.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Judo390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judo390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 9:41am
Looks like AH (9.059 on 9.90 index) went 4 rounds in eliminations and Garrett Ghezzi SS/MA (10.808 on 11.85 index) went 3. Pretty impressive showing for the AMC boys!
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 10:04am
Wish I understood what all the classes were.

Regardless...congrats to Mr. Adkins!
Pinballer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinballer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2017 at 8:03pm
 I'll try to explain it to you in beginner's terms. It does take a while to get onto this if you're not up on these things. And a whole lot of people aren't, so don't feel bad!

The letter designations for Stock and Super Stock stand for HP to weight ratios (AKA a "factor", it doesn't have anything to do with what brand of car it is. Each class in Stock, from A to W,  has different indexes, or minimum elapsed times that class must run, and a very stringent set of rules. These minimum times are designated by NHRA in their rulebook.

I'll use my own car I'm building as an example:
 T/SA  stands for T Stock Automatic on my 79 AMX 6 cylinder car.  My weight to horsepower factor for that year of car/engine is 19.38 , meaning 1 HP to 19.38 lbs,  which essentially means I'm dragging a lot of weight down the track with a low horsepower engine combination, unlike the fast guys who might have a 9.xx to 1 ratio in a big block '68 Camaro. This puts me in the T range of cars that run only in the Stock Eliminator classes, and our index is 14.40 seconds in the quarter mile. If I wanted to add a little more weight to the car (an allowable amount), I could drop it down to U/SA, an even slower class with a slower index of 14.85, or if I wanted to remove some weight, I can go up to a quicker class, R/SA at 13.95 . You are only allowed to add or remove just so much weight to stay legal, and you can only go up or down one class from what your car is originally factored at by NHRA. If I wanted to run the 304  2 bbl engine in my car, which I legally could because it was equipped with one from the factory that year, it has more horsepower making the factor stronger, and it would move me up to P/SA . The real trick to all this is to find a car/engine that is a little bit under-factored compared to other similarly classed cars and make it work to your advantage.

If I was running Super Stock, a class that allows much more modifications to the driveline, I would have to lighten my car up a whole lot, spend a zillion dollars on machine work and fancy trick pieces, and run SS/PA , which stands for Super Stock P Automatic, and that class has a much less weight to horsepower ratio, and a corresponding much quicker index I have to be under in order to have a chance at competing.
  Once your car can run under the index in your time trials, they allow you to be in eliminations and you are placed on a qualifying ladder sheet, and then you run each other bracket style until a winner emerges. Should you be paired up with a car in your own class, it's a heads up race-- first one to the finish line wins!
  Mr. Adkins and  Mr. Ghezzi are old hands at all this stuff, and they are truly running with the elite of their respective classes. Both have been National record holders many times over the years in several different classes.
NHRA T/SA '79 AMX
amx390ssc View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx390ssc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2017 at 6:59am
A NHRA rule book would help you understand!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic