TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

instrument volt regulator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 5:02pm
If it's an OEM IVR, there is no ground. The ground is at the instrument. It works exactly as Rebel Machine described it. If you put a voltmeter on it, you will never see 5V, or 6V, or whatever. It will either be 12V or 0V as 6PakBee alluded to. Aftermarket IVRs may, or may not, require a ground connection.  The popular 7805 replacement is a linear regulator which will generate heat - too much heat IMO - but people have successfully done this, so who am I to poo poo the idea?
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 5:39am
I've been running a 7805 regulator since 2000 with no issues at all. Can't be generating that much heat...
Frank Swygert
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 4:27pm
Yup, I have said repeatedly that I don't like the design, but I guess it's due to my background in military electronics which dictates a design must work, on paper, 100% of the time. It does seem to work despite my reservations.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic