TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Nash six vs. AMC six... ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by andyleonard andyleonard wrote:

Tom I have a "never bored/never turned/never apart" 58 flathead auto on the floor with the crank out if there's any data you want. Your work has been extremely helpful to me getting the Tomato back on the road. Anything I can do.....

ooh nice! thanks! i've managed to not be involved with the flathead so far. no particular reason... but probably better for me that i haven't! lol

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 10:53pm

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Surely you're not looking at the larger Statesman/Ambassador for a Lemons car? 

LeMons RALLY, not the 24 hour race... the rally is new, and much looser, and street registered cars only. though the NASCAR experience wouldn't matter there, since Index of Effluency for Nashcans and Ramblers especially is through the roof. plus i could make it faster than NASCAR did because reasons 60 years of technology! lol. a 50 ambo is a terrifying thing to see!

Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Since the 50-54 Nash Rambler is basically the same chassis as the 58-63 American chassis (firewall was changed in 61-63 to relocate brake MC to firewall -- the only chassis change), anything from one will pretty much swap to the other. There were some minor body changes in 54 so the windshield is different, and some body panel differences (especially hood and front fenders). The windshield is the main thing that could be an issue though.

this is my preference. it would be a fun car to drive. i've never had access to one, never saw one outside of a museum, no idea what's under there. they are rare as hen's teeth here in the west. if i had any money at all right now i'd buy the '54 near me almost sight-unseen. all i need is the chassis and a bad front suspension.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 6:14am
Do you still have another 61-63 body? Except for a change in the upper trunnion (50-53 looks like big car upper trunnion, not sure if the change in small car upper trunnion was 54, 55 or 58) and the MC relocation all the 50-63 chassis are pretty much the same. 52-56 Statesman is similar, and of course the Ambo. An Ambo with a 258 or 4.0L EFI would be nice!

The flat-head six bottom end is the same as the OHV. The only PITA thing is it uses large head mushroom lifters. Can't get the lifters out without removing cam first. Of course they are solid lifters so really don't need to come out. Oh, that reminds me, PITA #1 (lifter removal has to be... well, #3...) is adjusting the lifters! Have to go through the side covers, hard to do with engine in the little body. PITA #2 is removing the head with all those studs. Over the years the studs rust in the holes and it can be a bear to remove the studs or get the head off over them. I don't recommend trying to remove -- they can break off in the block and have to be drilled out. I've had to use about a 15 degree steel wedge to get one off, driven with a hammer between block and head! It was about 2" wide and did no damage to sealing surfaces. Luckily it's something you rarely have to do until it needs rebuilding (or it would be PITA #1!). That was my first Rambler, and a piece of lock washer had dropped down a spark plug hole without my knowledge. Nice little funnels around the sparker holes! Fell right on top of the piston and made a nice banging when cranked after that tune-up! Always check around sparker holes before removing...

Edited by farna - Aug/24/2017 at 6:17am
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 11:28pm
are you trying to talk me into working up a flathead rambler? YOU ARE NOT DOING A GOOD JOB. lol.

funny you mention all that, as i was just looking at the '65 TSM, for crank specs, saw the valve adjustment (and retainer install) for the flattie, and cringed. again. yeah, don't want one of those. that would be just fine on an old fashioned side-lift hood like a model A. not good on a deep unibody tub.

no, just this one rambler at the moment. i gave away the '63 hardtop. i was purging stuff (comma too much of).

i really want that 54 nash. alas, can't afford right now.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2017 at 6:40am
Let me try to do better...
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/1953-nash-rambler-country/6267658069.html

Not so sure about this big one...
https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/1950-nash-sedan/6259065950.html

And if you REALLY love big Nash cars... (not for your purposes... but not a bad price for what it is...)
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1957-nash-ambassador-sedan/6260842413.html
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 4:10pm
those are the ones i've been looking at! the last one is too new and too pretty. the 53 (i think i was saying "54") is best for me... the title issue is a PITA but can be dealt with. all i need is money! 

the '50 is interesting though. LARGE! 

D.Rock View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D.Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 7:15pm
I have a '59 wagon that fair game. I planned on dropping it onto an S10 but the projects have piled up. Body is decent. Motor sized or so I'm told. I stole the rear for my '58, so that would be something to deal with. It's pink. Haul it away and make it a "Lemon"...
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 11:02pm
im gonna PM you... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic