TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dash Headlight Switch 66 Amb,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jakonrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Headlight Switch 66 Amb,
    Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 6:16am
I want to change the headlight switch in my 66 Ambassador but it's buried.  Any easy suggestions?

thnx
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 9:03am
What do you define as being "buried"? If you're new to AMC's I suggest you find a TSM (Technical Service Manual) for your car. It's not that hard to remove. Disconnect the battery. Make sure the knob is pushed all the way IN. Reach under the dash and locate the small white button on the bottom of the headlight switch. While depressing this button, pull the knob with attached shaft out of the switch. Remove the retaining nut and the switch can be removed from the back of the dash panel.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 3:03am
the button he is talking about is located on the square part of the switch closes to the dash its spring loaded push it in then pull on the knob it should slide out
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 6:57am
63-66 headlight switch is pretty far back in the dash, has an extended knob/rod to fit back in there. The instrument panel has to come out to change it, IIRC (I have a 63 Classic, same configuration). I don't think you can remove it from under the dash. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic