TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Am I insane?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 3:03am
Originally posted by JeffstrsGremlinX JeffstrsGremlinX wrote:

None of the Vettes had big blocks??? Tons had big blocks!

Not arguing here, at all. A little tongue in cheek humor,that's all.
After all, I really thought you were kidding.

And I found what you're looking for. Easy-peasy. Wanna seesie?

A custom, one-off '78 Vette with pipes out the fender.
Right here-

Ha! I know vettes had bought blocked, just the pipes I tried to point out as existing were not mounted on big blocks.

Could not tell how close the exhaust setup was to the car shown in the movie, due to wee screen and not still frame shots. Did a search the net of the vette and posted the images below. Close but not like what was done back in my years in Cali. Maybe that car started a wee short lived trend with mods to have vent ported pipes.

Now peeps can visualise the look I am thinking of doing.

Thanks!

Edited by 304-dude - Aug/22/2017 at 3:18am
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2017 at 8:43am
Originally posted by JeffstrsGremlinX JeffstrsGremlinX wrote:

Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

I remember that stupid movie. That car was a one off by Korky's Kustoms in California.

Awe.. come on now.
It was a cinematic masterpiece. Great acting, exciting storyline and ah, cough.. cough... urp..
And what an awesome car... If you check the title of the clip it even says "High Quality" Wacko LOL

Ok, so not really. How about "Two Lane Blacktop''?
I remember Two Lane Blacktop. James Taylor and Dennis Wilson( I think) wanted to change the jets on their 55 Chevy all the time). Warren Oates drove a nice Orbit Orange 70 GTO Judge. One of them picked up a cute girl hitch hiker on the road.
Tarbaby View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tarbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 3:04pm
Interesting, I like it.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Tarbaby Tarbaby wrote:

Interesting, I like it.

Ha! Seems that half of us AMCers are insane.

The more look at how to route from upper corner and arcing down through the side, the less restricted legs are, as most of the bulge from service panel is in the upper parts of under the dash, not above my ankle.

Just have to sort a few optional tricks out like making room in the cowl, while sharing room for electric wipers, for cross-over pipes as to equalise pressures, and how to setup a second master cylinder for independent secondary front calipers.

Hope to do every tricky trick I can muster on the front at least.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 5:48pm
What kind of car are you thinking of doingvthis to. Those on the corvette looks pretty sweet. Something different.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by 2beersmaybe3 2beersmaybe3 wrote:

What kind of car are you thinking of doingvthis to. Those on the corvette looks pretty sweet. Something different.

To my 71 Javelin... heavily modded to fit a lot of things yet be not so apparent, until I get the custom modernised bumpers and grill done, with a wee wheel arch flare to keep it 70s. Mostly the body will be left alone as it's lines are perfect.

Really want to see if I can pull off fender exit headers, which only some have seen in an old Mark Hamel movie. I will be doing what I have seen and noticed long ago in the early 80s with some custom vettes.

My wheels will be in by early December at the latest. Even though I am not into 18" wheels, these were at a price I could not resist, unless I would buy what ever used.

Not sure if you dropped in to my mega modding thread, it would have given you an idea of how far I could go with wheels. 10.5" on all corners will be my limit as i really did not plan for such wide rims in the first place. If I had not shifted the rear springs out wider than stock, for better stability in cornering 11" wide rims would not be a problem for off the shelf 2015 Mustang rims.

My only gripe is wanting deep dish old school wheel designs, and not being able to use them in swapping out. They would require some extra flaring of the wheel arch areas. Which to me is no not good for daily driving and shopping. Too many narrow parking spaces. They would have wee signs saying... hit me, or yes I bite.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2017 at 9:07am
I haven't seen your thread butvi will look. I Remer that movie. Just a kid then. I knew tv and movies were fake butt still back then I couldn't wrap my mind around Luke Skywalker in a Corvette. Those pipesvwould look good on alot of cars.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
kalve View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kalve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2017 at 10:44am
Well like they say about AMC is All Makes Combined. An insane yea when has somebody into cars have not been called crazy at one point or another. Sounds like a good idea on those pipes something different for sure.
1964 T bird Landau

2000 Mercedes Benz CLK 430 convertible

1970 AMC Rebel SST Wagon
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by kalve kalve wrote:

Well like they say about AMC is All Makes Combined. An insane yea when has somebody into cars have not been called crazy at one point or another. Sounds like a good idea on those pipes something different for sure.

I originally had no plans on doing the pipes like that, until I got heavily into the suspension mods and the lowering it created. The clearance for what I planned originally was not good enough for headers. Will probably have a custom oil pan done and some trimming of the transmission around the flexplate bottom, to make room for a steel skit plate. Roads are harsh here.

Long ago when I started stripping the body, I saw how the vent hole was shaped like a fender vent on formula firebird and vette. Then the idea came as an easier option to work around the clearances without frame modding or hard work to remove headers for maintenance.

If there is enough clearance with my brake system setup, the headers should be as easy to install or remove as stock manifolds.

Long before I got my first car, which was an AMC, my engine instructor said, "an engine or car does not know what make it is nor cares." Meaning as long as the part fits, and does the job reliably, the part can be aftermarket, original, or from other manufacturer. I found It so true with my 1st Javelin, and that truth has been expanded a bit wider than what one would think about. In a small way i am glad to find newer cars are still made pretty much the same. As if they were not, I would not be here with my modification thread.

To me a lot of new and improved talk by manufacturers through the years, yet the only real improvements are now with engine life, performance, steering and breaking. Everything else is electronic gizmos and safety features, like the wall is about to be hit for any other improvements for today's cars. The next move is computerised hydraulic suspensions, electric motorised wheels, and super batteries, with a mess of electronics for operation, safety and conveniences.

Edited by 304-dude - Nov/24/2017 at 11:25am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2017 at 7:40am
"Well like they say about AMC is All Makes Combined."

Yes, THEY say that, but WE AMC people should know better! Yes, there are a few parts form other manufacturers (rather from subsidiaries of others) on AMCs. Biggest item is the transmissions, others are rather small except in the few rare occasions where engines were used also (Packard V-8 in 55-56 Nash/Hudson, 2.0L Audi four in 77-79, 80-83 2.5L GM four, and in Jeeps the 84-86 Renault 2.1L Turbo Diesel and 84-86 GM 2.8L V6. There were a few Jeeps made with the Buick/Kaiser V6 in 70-71 after AMC took over to use up stocks of the engine and allow AMC engineers time to fit the AMC I-6.

That being said, hot rodding/customizing a car throws manufacturer out the window! Use what works/fits (or can be made to fit) safely. While it might be easier to use something that the original manufacturer did, such as an AMC V-8 replacing a six or four, sometimes it's no more work to use something else. Best example is a 56-66 big Rambler with torque tube. If you want a V-8 you have to change the entire driveline, and Gen1 V-8 drivelines in good condition (or even repairable condition) are hard to find now... and it's still an antique engine/trans. It's just as much work to put a later model AMC engine in (that was never factory installed, and still can be hard to find today) as any other make -- so why not go for something that is more modern and easier to find parts for? Or maybe like 304-dude, you just want to do something different and/or make improvements on the base car.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic