TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Javelin coil springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Javelin coil springs
    Posted: Aug/19/2017 at 11:51am
My 69 Javelin is sitting with springs only a quarter inch between coils. It has 25 inch diameter tires and the top of the fender openings are sitting a inch lower then the top of the tires. Also 14 inch wheels. The springs must be totally shot are there any one place to buy heavy duty springs. They are 10 coil factory springs. The back springs are bent down also and have a kink in the bend? 
AMC Forever
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2017 at 4:05pm
Eaton Detroit Spring.......expensive but well worth it.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 6:47am
I always order springs from www.coilsprings.com (Coil Spring Specialties). They make them to order, takes 3-4 weeks to arrive. I wouldn't use the HD springs, as they are about 20% stiffer than stock and are really hard. If you just want to be a bit stiffer and still have stock ride height I suggest a 12% stiffer spring. I've run 10% and 12% stiffer, and it's amazing what 2% will do! The 10% stiffer are barely noticeable at all, 12% is just stiffer enough that you can tell. I wouldn't go over 15%, not the 20% of factory HD springs. You can specify ride height and rate or a percentage over stock -- they have the stock spring specs.

I'd not order HD springs if you think yours rides decent now. The stock ones are worn out, the HD will be MUCH stiffer than what you have, new stock springs will still be stiffer and sit up higher (HD tend to sit a bit higher than stock springs). Some companies have 70+ springs listed for 69 and earlier, that is wrong! The spring placement changed -- pivot is a couple inches inboard on 70+ compared to trunnion cars, which have the spring out directly over the trunnion. The further inboard the stiffer the spring needs to be to compensate for leverage difference (longer the lever -- further out -- spring doesn't do as much work). Just an inch would make a difference! All coil springs will take a week or two to settle, and will settle a bit quicker if driven.
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 11:38pm
i'm with farna here -- NEW springs all by themselves will improve the car so much, i suspect your desire for stiffer will disappear. AMC did a good job balancing ride height and spring rate. 

every old car i get i install new springs (and new steel wheels, and brakes). those transform old saggy harsh rides into what they ought to be. it just seems boring and unexciting, but man it makes a huge diff.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic