TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

79 Spirit Fuel Tank Sending Unit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 12:53am
Ford and Chrysler and maybe AMC use  the 10 ohms full 73 ohms empty units. I just put in a Jeep CJ tank in my Chev truck and because of the different sending unit had to also buy a gauge.

Tanks Inc. sell generic adjustable sending units of different ohm ratings but without the fuel pick up line. I think they have to be added by cutting an extra hole in the top of the tank.
rons View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 9:25am
Sean, I have written down from past contacts, that the resistance for the 1978 to 1988 Amc fuel sender is 31 ohms full and 248 ohms empty. I believe that the readings that you are using were on the 1977 and back.
Can anyone chime in on that?
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 7:31pm
Well, here's the update! Good news: The car is now running under its own power! The sending unit plugged right in, minus a leak at the sending unit, which I will correct next week when I can get some time in on my buddy's 2 post lift. That will make dropping the tank and putting gasket sealer on the sending unit a heck of a lot easier than laying on my back in the grass. I re-used the old gasket since it wasn't in too bad of shape and put oil on it so it wouldn't bind up and tear, but I guess I should have sprung for a new gasket. Bad news: It appears RonS is correct about the ohms. The gas tank read nearly 3/4 of a tank after dropping in about 3-4 gallons of fuel... For now, I'm pretty happy that I at least have a running and driving Spirit once again. I think if I can contact Summit racing again and see if a newer model fuel tank sending unit from maybe a square body Cherokee (I believe that newer body style started around 85-6 if I'm not mistaken) or a Grand Wagoneer from a little later might have the resistance I'm looking for to get the fuel gauge fully functional. Still some tweaking to do! I did have to modify the fuel tube as was pretty straight and not quite the same bends as my old sending unit. A few minutes with a tubing bender and it looked nearly identical! I also had to bend the float arm at a 90 degree angle in one spot, but I used the old sending unit as a basis for my bends and it looked about the same as well. I did also cut a bit off of the end of the fuel tube since it was a little longer than the older unit and I wanted the inlet to be at the same position. Everything else was pretty much plug and play with the exception of the lock ring being a little tricky to put back on. I will update this as I drop the tank and re-seal the sending unit. I may just buy a new gasket and lock-ring just to be absolutely sure this thing seals into the tank. When I went to the parts store (Autozone) to buy the tubing bender, they informed me that they had a complete sending unit in stock for a 79 Jeep CJ-7 with the lock ring, gasket, and sock all included for the same price as the Summit Racing unit without the shipping... Oh well. At that point I had already modified the Summit racing unit and there was no chance of returning it. You live and you learn I guess! Here are some photos of the before and after on the sending unit. I ended up getting the Omix-Ada unit with part number 17724.11 and modifying it as you see below. 

Before: with the straight shank fuel tube, but the float arm I bent myself before taking the picture.

After: Notice the bends on the fuel tube as well as the end of it chopped off to match the size.

Big shout out to all who helped me with the resistance numbers and other miscellaneous questions I've had about this swap. Hopefully once it gets sealed up tight, I won't have any more leaks and it will function perfectly! Although today didn't go 100% to plan, it's still been a great AMC day!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 7:05am
You can get a universal sending unit with that ohm range (either range). I use those on the stock pickup tube. Just disassemble the stock unit, just leaving the welded on plate. Take the sliding unit off the universal, and fix it to that plate. How depends on the plate and new unit -- I've screwed them on and wired them on (wouldn't use zip ties though!). As long as the unit is firmly attached and float arm unhindered it doesn't matter how. Then bend the float arm as needed. I couldn't get my last one to register just right -- only goes up to about 3/4 tank when full, and at empty I have 4-5 gallons left. Wanted the later, have EFI without much of a sump, so it will "hic-up" on hard turns when only a couple gallons left. Probably could have got it to read full and totally empty, but...
Frank Swygert
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2017 at 9:29am
I was not aware that AMC changed the ohms on the sending units. I have only played with 1966 and 1974 models. I know for a fact they are 10 Full and 73 empty.

You did a great job modifiying the new unit....you can use it if you put in a aftermarket gauge. I am sure that's not an encouraging option... You just received a couple of blows in this round...but the fights not over yet....

When it comes time to play with my 83 Concord, I will remember that.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic