TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Removable upper radiator support in a small body
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Removable upper radiator support in a small body

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removable upper radiator support in a small body
    Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 5:01pm
Has anybody made a removable upper radiator support in a small body Gremlin or Hornet to facilitate engine removal and replacement? Pictures? Did you do anything else to strengthen up the unibody?
Mostly last. View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mostly last. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 5:52pm
I thought this was a great idea and even found some plate that fitted perfectly in the back of the support that I could bolt through.
Public opinion though including my wife was don't do it.
So I cursed them all putting the engine and transmission back in, but now it's all back and running nicely I am happy I didn't change anything.

typhooner View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote typhooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 6:37pm
The upper radiator support is an integral part of the unibody chassis and it is not advisable to try to make it a removable component. If it were fabricated to be bolted in place and somehow became loose while driving it could seriously weaken the unibody structure resulting in failure of portions of it. That could result in serious injury or death. It's not just a puny little brace as it appears. It is an engineered component that supports many different structures. This is coming from someone who attended a unibody school back when these cars were still young. I was the first individual in my area to learn to set up and run a Car-O-Liner unibody structure repair platform. If you decide to do this anyway, do so at your own risk.
1969 Hurst SC/Rambler A Scheme
1969 Rebel Raider Electric Green    1962 IH/AMC SC/out
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic