TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Borg Warner SR4 Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2019 at 8:55am
Thanks.. that is what I was thinking.. 
How about the slider??  it does not seem to come with the rebuild kit..

Thanks for any ideas..
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2019 at 10:57am
Depending on your budget, 4 wheeler's sometimes get their gears, shafts cryo treated on these transmissions.
You get about 30% stronger gears that also wear better. But like anything, it costs!
This is one place and there are a few others on the Jeep forums:
You normally only need 1st and 2nd gears stronger as your already moving by the time your in 3rd and not really putting full torque on the gearbox as you do from the start. 
81eagle View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81eagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2019 at 1:40pm
I haven't owned an SR4 2wd trans since my '79 Pinto. I have had a few 4wd versions in Eagles though. The T-4/T-5's have the same shifter and the SR4 is a bit different. I have an SR4 in my Kammback and it must be held in reverse or it pops out. When the time comes I will put one of my spare T-4's in it.

As others have said, I don't think rebuilding it will be too difficult for ya!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2019 at 4:34am
The T-5 would slip right behind the 304, ya know...
But since you mention wanting it back to stock that's probably not a consideration. If you use fifth gear much with the 360 you will miss it with the 304 though. The t-5 is little more than a slightly upgraded SR4 with fifth gear added.
Frank Swygert
Mr_AMC View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr_AMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/30/2019 at 12:44pm
Thanks for the answers..  if I HAD a 2WD T-5  I would love to put it in my 80.. 
I have the 4wd version in my Eagle, and love it..
Since it is just sitting behind a 258, I think I will just leave the gears as is, and do the rebuild..
 Thanks..
Maybe I can find a higher geared rear axle some day..

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/31/2019 at 5:52am
Didn't realize the T-5 was in an Eagle, sorry! BUT.... a Mustang T-5 bolts up, just has the shifter a bit further back than a stock AMC shifter. The SR-4 should be fine though, four gears are still better than three, and the lower first gear makes the rather high rear axle not so bad. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic