TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

L head distributor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rambler58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L head distributor
    Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 11:48am
hey guys new here. I just picked up a 58 rambler American a couple weeks ago. The car was running decent for the most part until i decided to do a tune up and when i changed out the points in the little plastic piece that you screw the points and condenser to just crumbled upon removal. so my question is does any one have this piece or do i need to find a whole new distributor? oh and by the way i have an early production 58 so its equipped with the 50-55 nash distributor. Any help would be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 1:53pm
I don't know if the newer Delco distributors as found on the OHV model would fit but they would be easier to find parts for. There is also the Prestolite model with the clips that hold the cap down as supplied on the Canadian models. Parts for those are really expensive. You could find a Petronix up date for about the same cost. On line to a Petronix rep is the best way to find the correct one. You would still need the base to screw down the module though.

What about forming a new piece with JBweld. I have had luck with their 2 part plastic bonder when embedding patio door fiberglass screen in with the product.

There are also 2 part epoxy sticks you can knead together like for gas tank or plumbing repairs.

Edited by vinny - Aug/16/2017 at 1:59pm
rambler58 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rambler58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 1:59pm
I bought a machine screw and some nylon nuts to replace what broke but for some reason it still Mis fires likes crazy. I filled in the gap on the distributor housing with silicone come to find out that's semi conductive. So I cleaned that out and filled it with contact cement and it still has a mis fire everything from plugs wires cap rotor points condenser is all new. I tried 2 different coils with the same issue. Yesterday it would run fine for about 30 seconds then start misfiring. I pulled the cap to watch the points spark and they would spark fine for about 10 rotations then cut out then spark fine then cut out. If I can find an electronic ignition for that distributor that would be great.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 2:05pm
I had quite some trouble when using a Delco coil that was supposed to have been used with a resistor. Eventually it burnt out. At night it would glow blue around the top of the coil. With the replacement they gave me it wouldn't start at all and I went with Petronix. What is the voltage to the coil + with the car running? Mine is the same as battery voltage at 14.3.

Sometimes even new condensers are bad.

Edited by vinny - Aug/16/2017 at 2:08pm
rambler58 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rambler58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 2:09pm
It's at 14.3 volts while running. I put an accel super stock coil in it to see if maybe more spark would help and it did the exact same thing. I've gone thru this thing about 5 times even put all the old stuff back in with the same results.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 3:59pm
 If you have a spare ignition resistor around maybe put that in line to see how it does. There are not that many coils out there that like to run on 14 volts.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 7:21am
Some coils have an internal resistance -- usually GM -- but most need a ballast resistor. The resistor allows full battery voltage to the coil for starting, but reduces voltage to about half as it heats up. Running the engine at full voltage will quickly burn up points and condensor, and can cause problems like internal arcing and cross firing, similar to what you're experiencing.

You can't use the OHV distributor on the L-head, but later models (at least 63-65, might start in 62) used Delco distributors. You can interchange the Delco with the Autolite, but need to use the Delco coil as well. Delco coils don't use an external distributor. None of the 58-60 American wiring diagrams show a ballast resistor to the coil from the factory, but it's over 50 years old -- who knows what coil it has in there? I'd try the ballast resistor and see if that helps.
Frank Swygert
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 11:27am
farna, will a 232 (or any other AMC 6) Delco distributor fit in a 196 flathhead? If yes, Skip White has a $55 solution to this problem.
rambler58 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rambler58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 11:29am
Someone had replaced the original coil. I put a ballast resistor in and it fixed my problem I think. It ran fine for about 15 minutes till she ran out of fuel. Gonna fill her up tonight and see how she runs.
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 11:33am
+1 on the resistor. I just went through this. Too much voltage will make that happen. Mine would idle and rev OK but crap out a minute later on the hill like it was running out of gas.

Putting a resistor inline solved it immediately. Not all coils are marked.

Can't you find a small piece of plastic tube to go through the distributor wall? The adhesives you're using in there are not helping.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic