TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Light Conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Light Conversion
    Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 11:14pm
I tried searching Google and the forum and maybe I missed it, but has anyone swapped the stock style sealed beam headlights out for 07-now Jeep Wrangler lights? Or is there a reason not to? I'm my search I came across adding in breakers and relays to even the stock lights and will do that as well.

I didn't have much time but had a set of the Jeep lights sitting here and quickly tried one. They seem the same size, similar depth, and the factory Amc rings fit the light perfectly.

1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
bubbarules1958 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbarules1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 4:32am
If they fit in the hole you should be good. I would definitely upgrade the wiring harness to a relay system. You won't be disappointed even if you run stock lights. Build your own or buy a putko harness. I run one in my Jeep and built one for my Cadillac and Gremlin.http://www.eautoworks.com/Putco-H4--9003-Heavy-Duty-Headlight-Upgrade-Wiring-Harness-PRD7540.aspx
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 5:25am
My advice;
Read all the reviews, and look for them to be DOT compliant

I put some rectangular LED headlights in my Comanche and those suckers are BRIGHT!

Like way too bright,
 the wrong lights, aimed poorly can make enemies out of strangers, quick!

I don't drive my MJ at night, and I aimed them downward,
but I still plan to replace them with something less blindy for oncoming traffic,
and put them on the trail truck.

Too bad, because the LED headlights I bought have the little center bar that lights up with the running lights, so they look great, fill the road with light, and were inexpensive.

I just wouldn't want to test the trucks 29 year old brakes when the angry guy I'm blinding in front of me decides to stand on his brakes to repay the favor Confused

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:04pm
Is the connector on the Jeep headlight the same as on the sealed beam ?
I bet the Jeep lamps are brighter and have a better beam pattern than the stock sealed beams. Let us know how they work at night.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 3:56am
I have Hella Vision Plus H4 conversion lights in my AMX. Fit the stock buckets, replaceable bulb, DOT approved. I like the look of the nearly flat lens.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 8:10am
There are only two standard sizes of round headlights -- 7" for single (one each side), and 5-3/4" for dual (two each side). US code standardized the sizes, from 1940 for the 7", 1958 for the dual 5-3/4". That code was changed in 74 to allow rectangular headlights (sealed beam still a requirement, and only two sizes for single or dual configurations), and in 83 to allow replaceable bulb and architectural headlights (architectural can be any shape, just have to meet light aim requirements). All sealed beam units had to be glass, the 83 change allowed plastic lenses as well. There were some replaceable bulb sealed beam units made in the late 70s/early 80s. Had glass front lense and a sealed reflector/lense assembly, with a "bubble" for the replaceable bulb... a neat way to circumvent the law. Won't find those any more! Modern replacements are plastic with removable bulbs. I have those in my car now. Prior to that I used sealed beam halogen lights, which you can still get.
Frank Swygert
Amx68 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amx68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2017 at 9:49am
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

Is the connector on the Jeep headlight the same as on the sealed beam ?
I bet the Jeep lamps are brighter and have a better beam pattern than the stock sealed beams. Let us know how they work at night.

Connector is different, so would need wired in, either when doing the wiring upgrade or could likely add spade connectors and plug them into factory connector. Lots of Jeep guys are running upgraded bulbs or plug-in led bulbs.

Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

I have Hella Vision Plus H4 conversion lights in my AMX. Fit the stock buckets, replaceable bulb, DOT approved. I like the look of the nearly flat lens.

Bob
tufcj

I'll have to look those up. Haven't seen (or at least noticed) anything with the flatter style lens.

And that's some interesting information to know Farna! Not something I ever really thought of or considered before.
1968 Amx - Was 390/4spd, will have mild 360/5spd T5 (project)

1999 Jeep Cherokee Limited - 4.0L Auto, 3-link front, 6.5" lift, 36" Swampers, locked front/rear, 4.56 gears, doorless, etc. Wheeled & DD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic