TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

McLeod clutch disk not fitting T10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McLeod clutch disk not fitting T10
    Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 6:54am
I ordered a McLeod clutch for my 401/T10 build, and found that the clutch disk will not slide on the T10 input shaft when checking before installing on the flywheel.  It lines up, and I started to drive it on, but realized that with this tight a fit it might not work right.  I tried graphite to lube it, and made sure that there were no burrs on the input shaft, but it still does not slide on.  This is a 1966 T10, so I also tried it on a newer T10 input shaft, same result.  It is a 10 spline, 1 1/8" clutch disk.  Anyone have this type of problem?  I'll be calling McLeod tech services Monday, but thought that I should check to see if any other AMC'ers have had this problem with a clutch disk.
1966 American HT, 401 with STR 11, T10
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1975 Hornet Hatchback, 440 c.i. stroked 401, to be an LSR race car
1930 Essex coupe, to be a 401 with 3 deuces, TKX 5 speed, hot rod
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 7:32am
Very common for the hub to have burrs from the manufacturing process.  Have you tried using a small file to dress up the edges of the splines on both sides?  That is recommended for any clutch disc regardless of brand.  I have also been know to use valve lapping compound between the disc and input shaft after I got it to slide on to further smooth out the movement of the disc on the input shaft.  It's good you checked it before installing it in the car!
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 11:54am
Yes, I used a file to clean each spline to remove any burrs.  It just looks like the teeth on the clutch disk are ever so slightly wider than the spaces between the splines on the input shaft.  I will, however, talk with McLeod before filing the clutch disk splines  in case I need to return it.  The original clutch disk slides on and off with no problems. 
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
1948kaiser View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1948kaiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 11:13am
where was it made? country?
Tomerekson View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomerekson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2017 at 1:19pm
Spoke with McLeod today, they are not aware of disks not fitting.  The tech suggested that I return this disk and reorder another to see if it fits, as it should.  I believe that McLeod manufactures at their facility in California, of course some components might be manufactured overseas. Will update after I return and replace with a new clutch disk.
1979 Spirit GT, 401, T10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic