TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Transmission ID

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elephantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission ID
    Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 6:02pm
I have a 61 Rambler Classic Custom with a 196 engine with the push button selector. How do I ID what transmission I have. Is it just the Flash-O-Matic or are there different types?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 6:16pm
It is a BorgWarner M35 also called a T35.  That same transmission was used for column shift and push button shift AMCs behind the 195.6 engines (and others) for years.  I recommend that you get a service manual for your car.  There is plenty of information about all the systems in the manual.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 6:24pm
Look at the main case. If it is Aluminum T35 , if it's cast irom it should be a M-10.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
elephantman View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elephantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 6:46pm
Thanks for the info! I saw some posts in this forum to use Dexon III or A fluid. Then I read to use ATF+4? 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 8:22pm
Dexron III is fine for it.  Joe
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 10:16pm
A '61 is going to have the M-10, cast iron case.
The T-35 didn't show up until '62. 
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 12:11am
I did not know that.  Obviously I thought the cast iron case went away before 1961.    Joe
Cricket View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2017 at 8:41pm
Cast iron would be M8, as the M10 was not till 65-66(and only used with the V-8 engines). Aluminum would be the M35. Easiest way to ID without even crawling under it is to see if you have cooling lines going to the radiator, the M35 is only air cooled.
Cricket

Edited by Cricket - Aug/15/2017 at 8:44pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:09am
The "M-10" (I don't think that is actually on the trans ID tag) uses a TV cable for internal pressure control instead of a vacuum modulator (so does the M-35).  Other than that (and the lack of a push-button control -- the trans body is different for those) it's the same as an M-8. As Cricket says, only used in 65-66 models behind V-8s. The M-8 was used behind sixes and V-8s (some internal differences, such as number of clutches and maybe programming of the valve body and/or governor) from 57-62.

I've seen 62 sixes with the cast iron M-8 and aluminum M-35. I think it was a late 62 model year change -- the TSM only shows the cast iron M-8 for 62. Could be later year trans swaps though, hard to tell with a 50+ year old car.
Frank Swygert
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 9:55am
OOPS ! I meant to say M-8.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic