TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Fuel Tank Repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Tank Repair
    Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 3:16pm
Among the parts store fuel tank epoxy repair kits, does one stand out above the rest?

I have to use an epoxy because I have a pour in tank liner in the tank. I can't heat it to braze it or the liner will burn and ash up and start to all come off. I have a 1/2" hole in the top corner that was the drain hole for the RedKote liner I used when I reconditioned the tank.

I can't remember what product I used 3-ish years ago when I sealed it up the first time, but it failed after one year and since then, drips fuel when the tank is full for 20 miles or so. However, the last time I filled up, it poured a good 1-2 gallons onto the ground at the gas station. Luckily it was at about 1:00 AM and no one was around. I pushed the car down an incline then jumped in it, started it, and took off. Nothing exploded.

I bought a Versachem kit from O'Reilly last night, but as far as I know it'll end up doing the same thing. We'll see, I guess. If you know of anything really good, let us all know.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 3:17pm
I hope this thing holds. I sanded the area around the hole to bare metal and cleaned it before applying a fiberglass patch sheet and epoxy.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 9:55pm
I guess you have had the tank out so you would know if there was a problem with the fill pipe. If not then I think it is time for another tank.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 1:20am
There's nothing wrong with the filler tube. There's just a hole in the corner I patched before that started leaking. I re-patched it. I was talking about how I couldn't braze it since there's a liner in the tank. I don't need to replace the tank. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 1:26am
All done and it seems to be holding. My fuel gauge isn't dropping as quickly from the full mark now that it's not pouring the top couple gallons on the ground as I drive around.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 6:43am
Yeah that tank doesn't look so bad. I was referring to the filler tube because my daughter had car in Ontario that would reek of gas if she filled it. The tank had been replaced but the filler tube was all full of holes. When it came out it was so rotten I could crush it by squeezing it.

I've done those epoxy repairs before. They work pretty good.
Pdok View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pdok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 7:19am
The epoxy methods really have the best chance of holding when the tank has been chemically prepared to bond with the mixture.  The devil is in the prep, internal and external.

I'm very happy with the KBS Coatings kit, which includes all the prep chemicals, and has given 7 years of good service now.  It was time consuming and messy, but I'd do it again without hesitation.
76 Grem X 258/904,4.0 head/MPFI, Comp X250H cam, Hughes springs, Clifford header, serpentine swap.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 8:38am
Oh ok. Gotcha. Filler neck is solid. No issues there. The tank was horrendous inside when I got the car. I was so frustrated trying to clean it that I just cut it in half, cleaned it, and welded it back together. Then I used the pour in liner on it. I had to drill a hole in the corner to drain the excess liquid liner after each application. That's the hole that started leaking again that I'm re-patching.

These were taken in 2014:

dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2017 at 10:57pm
I've used the Caswell Plating epoxy kits and have been pleased both times. On my wagon tank I soldered up some of the larger holes then sealed it. With another tank off of a Subaru I had to cut it open and replace the baffles and the top part was swiss cheese anyway. I fabricated a whole new top and sides then welded it and poured in the sealer. So far both tanks are working good.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic