TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

the end of the road? (8.5" clutch unobtainium)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2017 at 8:15pm
Well the Alfa clutch would certainly be convenient, I have a '85 Alfa Spider that needs a clutch too (SWMBO drives both, go figure) suppose I could get a volume discount:)
oilspot- '62 Classic, '60 Sunbeam, '85 Alfa, 2 old Volvo wagons, Honda chopper, H-d FXR, god, this gearhead thing must have a cure!!
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

A quick rockauto search turned up:
SACHS KF24201 {#270505, 273633} Info
Outer Diam: 8-1/2; Inner Diam: 1; TEETH:10T
$131+
62 Volvo 122 1.8l

how'd i miss this post?

huh, i came across the P1800 clutch as a match, but not the 122. but it makes total sense they'd be the same.  i searched that out back when i was looking for a "rambler" clutch not a "T5" clutch, and didn't think about the pressure plate then, and forgot it, now.

so now there's three candidates for early six clutch covers.

Edited by tomj - Aug/27/2017 at 4:23pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 4:38pm
oopsie, the link to the "T5 clutch research" page on my website was kaput. now it's not. i added the part numbers from this thread there.
and the research page with all the other part numbers and dimensions

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

oilspot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2018 at 11:11am
After procrastinating for as long as SWMBO would stand for it, I finally decided to tear into the clutch replacement and exhaust manifold fab job. I just happened to have a Volvo 122 wagon with the engine out sitting around. So before redrill in the flywheel for a differentnt clutch cover, I brought the Volvo pressure plate assembly in and threw it on the bench. What ya know? It bolted right onto the Rambler flywheel. Free height was .200 lower, installed height was more like .125 lower. So I fired up the lathe and made a throw out bearing/clutch fork spacer that was 1/8" longer. Pressure plate looks like it fits inside the bell just fine, and I'm going to diaphragm type clutch in the process. Once I get it back together, I'll report back with results.
oilspot- '62 Classic, '60 Sunbeam, '85 Alfa, 2 old Volvo wagons, Honda chopper, H-d FXR, god, this gearhead thing must have a cure!!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2018 at 6:02am
Hope everything works as planned!

Frank Swygert
oilspot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 1:53pm
Well, the verdict is in. After installing the engine to find the new throwout bearing carrier was a bit too long, pulling it back out to install the original, and test driving it today, the clutch slips worse than before. The Volvo plate isn't strong enough. At this point I'm considering this car unrepairable. I've had enough. Back in the barn it goes. Perhaps someday I'll find a suitable replacement powertrain and get the ambition to engineer a rear suspension for it, but for now the mice can have it back.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 2:10pm
I have an 8-inch Rambler clutch and pressure plate here at home.  I will sell it for $50 plus shipping.  It is low mileage but no precisely new.  I don't recall the details of where I got it now,but I parted out quite a few cars in the 90's both here at home and in junkyards.  It's a 10-spline clutch disk and I sure it's for a Rambler.  Those are the only hobby cars I have had for years.  PM me if interested.

As a separate issue, and forgive my ignorance, but why can't you change to a 9-inch AMC clutch?  Joe

Edited by pacerman - Jun/21/2018 at 2:17pm
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
oilspot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 3:55pm
I don't know if the 9 inch clutch will fit, never had one in my hands. That would be the answer if it did, although availability of those isn't great either. I'll do a little more homework. Right now I've got to shove it aside for a bit. After I get my '55 Chevy front end done I'll come back to this nightmare. I am interested in your clutch. Thanks.
oilspot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 4:05pm
Does anyone know if the 9-1/8" clutch bolts up to the 8-1/2" flywheel? Is the bolt circle the same?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic