TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Converting to Trendsetters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 AMX 360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 12:46pm
Doug, were did you fine a set of trendsetters. Been looking for about a year with no luck.
70AMX360
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by AMXTSY AMXTSY wrote:

Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

Just be aware that it will make the ride a bit more "noisy" as my wife puts it. The radio j
just becomes an ornament. Don't plan on a cross country trip with out some ear buds...

If memory serves, (please correct me if I am wrong) the original Trendsetter/Sidewinder pipes came with chambered mufflers that were totally obnoxious. The new repop sets have flow-through units and are much easier on the ears. The front black plastic shield is also much better quality and less resistant to melting.

I do know that as of last June, Jeff Kennedy was selling a very nice complete kit (less the head pipes) for $450.00. Each componet could also be purchased separately. I don't know if they're still in stock. But, other AMC vendors like Galvin's or American Parts Depot may possibly have them as well.  Bruce

LATE THOUGHT:  Andre Jacobs at South Texas AMC also has some advertised on their website.
Hope this helps.  BC

I don't know what is available now, but I put the side exhausts on my 70 AMX in 1971. They were loud, obnoxious, burned your legs if you weren't careful getting out, and 2 sets of the plastic covers melted.
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 6:32pm
And when you park in a field to show your car, you better make sure the grass is freshly trimmed. 
madmax View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2019 at 9:29pm
if all goes good, we should have some more repro rails, shields and end caps in st louis for the amo meet.
American Heavy Metal

restoration parts and mechanical restoration services

70 amx black
1968 kaplan amx ss/racecar
1969 amx racecar
1970 trans am javelin
1969 amx white/platinum
1972 gremlin
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 9:30pm
Doug,
  I put a set of Trendsetters on a 68 AMX I built several years ago. Used Harley Davidson mufflers, they fit under the covers and sound good, but a bit strange as you only hear the 4 cylinders from whichever side you're standing on. Driving, you only hear the left side. Sounds good going down the road though. Sold the car to a guy near Bedford, IN, still drives it daily.

Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2019 at 10:53pm

70 AMX 360 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 AMX 360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2019 at 12:41pm
Doug, you wouldn't have a set of Trendsetters for a 1970 for sale or know any one that does.
JolleyGreenSST View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JolleyGreenSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2020 at 5:41pm
I would love a set of trendsetters for my 72 javelin if anyone is still reproducing these? Also are there any other options in the aftermarket fir side exhaust that looks similar? 
"God is good all the time and all the time God is good!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic