TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Machine going back to stock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vyscera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

I would not even think for a second about selling the valve covers or intake with the 4011!!! The intake is worth about as much as a complete 401 block alone. Remember the rocking horse manure? Depending on the condition of the chrome on the valve covers, they can be in the hundreds too. And hopefully the valve covers still have the little aluminum tag with the date code on it. That is also probably worth north of a hundred bucks too, and difficult to replace. All of these items are probably not worth much to the guy buying the 401 anyway, other than for resale. He may use his own valve covers, intake etc anyway. I would also keep the brackets and PS pump, if any, since those may be model year specific. If you are really concerned you could replace the valve covers and other bits with generic AMC pieces for much less than the items you have are worth.

Chris
I think I caused a little confusion. I will be taking all the original 390 parts off of the 401 that's in the car, to be put back on the 390. I was trying to say that I have these parts, and they are currently in use. So after the swap I will just have a stripped down 401. I'm trying to get the car back to stock as close as I can. The carb is not original sadly, otherwise I might have cruise control!
vyscera View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vyscera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2017 at 6:03pm
I'm getting close to swapping the engines out, and am trying to find a value for the 401 long block. I had a shop replace the head and oil pan gaskets last year and have been driving it weekly since. It will just be the block with timing chain, pan and heads.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2017 at 12:42pm
Area is a big factor in how much the 401 would be worth along with condition and bore size. That said, the range could vary pretty widely. The least I would take is $800 (which would be a heck of a deal for the buyer if it runs even if it has been bored out). I again would say that if this motor is in pristine shape meaning still has stock bore, good compression and doesn't need a rebuild it could go for probably as much as $2000 (which would be a great deal for you but not necessarily the buyer). I would think something fair to both guessing average condition $1200 + or - $300 depending on region.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic