TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

how to add freon to my 70 ambassador

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amboamx70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how to add freon to my 70 ambassador
    Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 5:24pm
does anyone know of an online source for an explanation of how to add Freon to the original ac system of my 70 ambassador? ive got the can tap with hose and the Freon just need to know where to hook up and etc
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2017 at 7:08pm
I don't want to over explain, but your question makes me think that you are not versed in air conditioning systems.
I assume that car has R-12 (known as Freon and generally used in cars older than 1995) unless someone changed it over to R-134A. You have to use the right refrigerant. R-12 is obsolete and hard to find, but it is out there.
The right way to do it is by weight of refrigerant. If that is not possible, it can be filled by watching pressures while filling it but you need gauges to do it. The last way, which is the do it yourself fallback, is to add some and hope it gets cold. Add a little at a time, because you do not want to over fill it.
Is the system low or empty? Has it been taken apart? If it is a little low you can top it off. If it is empty or has been taken apart, it should be vacuumed and filled properly. If it has been empty or serviced it might need a new dryer.
Systems get filled at the fill port on the low pressure side of the system, which is on the suction side of the compressor. Filling at the high pressure side might explode the can. Usually the fittings are such that the type of hose you are talking about can only connect to the low pressure service port.
Low pressure is the hose or line between the evaporator under the dash and the compressor. Somewhere on the path is a low pressure service port.
I appreciate your efforts to do things yourself, but if you don't know how to add refrigerant to the system I politely suggest that you take it to someone who knows how or buy some technical books to study. The systems are not complicated, but are more complicated than something like the cooling system where you just dump in coolant and it is full.

Edited by 6768rogues - Jul/23/2017 at 7:18pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 8:10pm
The service ports are under the brass caps on the service valves. Unlike modern cars these service ports operate like water faucets and do not have Schrader valves to keep pressure. Since you're unfamiliar with these A/C systems you would do well to have a professional auto repair shop that's experienced in older car A/C systems take care of this. The AMC York based systems are very similar to the Ford systems of the same vintage. Any shop that's familiar with the older Ford systems will know what to do.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic