TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC V-8 FUEL PUMPS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC V-8 FUEL PUMPS
    Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 10:28am
My 68 AMX 390 has vacuum wipers and has a fuel / vacuum pump . The arm on the pump has a brass pad on the end of the arm ..I have seen some aftermarket rebuilt fuel/ vacuum pumps that claim that they will work on my car but they do not have the bass pad.. What is the function of the brass pad and will the pumps without the pad work in my application

Thanks Joe
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 11:41am
The brass pad is to prevent wear of the camshaft lobe. Since brass is softer, it will wear first. Those without the pad will work fine, but will wear on the cam more. If yours !s like most 40+ year old cars and is seldom driven, I think the difference in wear will be insignificant.

Save your original Carter fuel pump. They are easy to rebuild and better than the current replacements.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 11:46am
Thanks Cam Jam..I will probably rebuild the OE pump
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Save your original Carter fuel pump. They are easy to rebuild and better than the current replacements.

Rebuild kit availability?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 12:56pm
Don't know yet.. If I can't find a kit I will probably send it to a re builder.. There seem to be several listed in Hemmings.. Anyone have any experience with any pump re builders..
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 1:08pm
Check out Then and Now up in Massachusetts. Excellent rebuilders and can also supply a rebuild kit if you want to do it yourself.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 1:56pm
Which pump do you have?  Some of the Mustang pumps use the same rebuild kit as ours.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 3:38pm
Dual Action Rebuild kits with diaphragms resistant to Ethanol are available from Arthur Gould....they sell kits and do the service, which ever you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
JOE S View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JOE  S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 9:44am
Thanks Guys.. I have done business with Arthur Gould in the past.. He was the first vendor I was going to
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic