TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

L head stuck

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 11:28am
Take it as is to the drag strip. Not funny I guess.

Or running it with the nuts a bit loose will at least get the engine warm which might help.

If the engine is out different story.

Edited by vinny - Aug/21/2017 at 11:35am
hot57rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hot57rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 8:57am
Update on my stuck cylinder head. Got most of the studs out. 4 broke off, 3 just plain stuck and I'm afraid of braking any more. I soaked them in every type of penetrating oil including acetone mixed with ATF. Tried using compression to loosen the head also. I ended up borrowing an engine hoist and attached it by threading bolts in through the spark plug holes. currently the hoist is lifting the front wheels of the car off the ground by the head......and it still stuck!! I may have to resort to some type of metal wedge between the head and block. Any further suggestions appreciated.
Ramblage View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ramblage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 9:07am
I had a head stuck like that on my 63 rambler which also had the flat head and broke a lot of studs. Soaked them for days with Kroil, still no go. Tried wedging the head up to and was not going so I ended up getting some carbide bits and drilled the broken studs as well as some studs that were stuck and finally removed the head. It sucked but got it off and was gona rebuild the engine but had 2 cracks going into the cylinders which was a debi downer.
1960 Customized Land Barge Rambler Super with Dodge 360 & 5spd
1971 Silver Bullet Javelin w/232 Engyne!
1972 Crappy Green Javelin w/401 and AW4, still in the works
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 11:33am
Heat around the stud holes. Maybe beat on it a little with a copper or lead hammer. You need to break the crusty bond between the studs and the head.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:15am
At this point I'd go ahead and try removing the studs. Broken ones will just have to be drilled out. So you end up with more to drill out, but...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic