TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Receiver Dryer rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Receiver Dryer rebuild
    Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 1:22pm
I've searched on the forum, had no luck finding. Who is it or where is it that I can the receiver dryer rebuilt for my 70 AMX? Only thing I have left to replace in the AC system to get it operational. I forgot how hot these cars get without AC. I have a voltmeter/temp combo that plugs into the cig lighter. On these last few hot days in Iowa, temps were near 100F inside the car within 15 min. of drive time. Don't want to get the leather all sweated up!!
Steveo
SC
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 1:50pm
I had one rebuilt a few months ago by classicautoair.com. They did a good job, but a job they quoted at three weeks ended up taking about 2 months. Cost was around $100 and they did take it apart and put new desiccant in.
AMO Newsletter Editor
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 2:04pm
I remember mentioned it was in Texas. 2 months will take put it in mid Sept. Shouldn't need AC much then but will be ready for next year.
Thanks.....
SC
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by kirkwood kirkwood wrote:

I had one rebuilt a few months ago by classicautoair.com. They did a good job, but a job they quoted at three weeks ended up taking about 2 months. Cost was around $100 and they did take it apart and put new desiccant in.

I had my dryer and condensor repaired there.  when i got them back the condensor had been dropped on the corner prior to painting and is now completely unusable.  the dryer came back and the paint was still wet even after shipping.  plastic stuck to the outside of both units and now i cant get the plastic off of the parts.  classic claimed shipping damage on the parts and of course ups denied it.  it also took almost three months to get my parts back..

i would not suggest using them if you need a quality job.
gtoman_us View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtoman_us Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 2:37pm
My experience was very good. For a 64 Ambassador application. They quoted 4 weeks and it took about 6 including ground shipping both ways. $125
Ron
Moderator - Emeritus

Used to collect trophies, now I collect gas receipts and put on miles

1964 Rambler Ambassador Cross Country Wagon
1965 GTO
1931 Model A original survivor
"Flat Roofs are Cool"
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 3:29pm
I have an AC and component warehouse right in the town I live in. They just don't rebuild dryers. THey sell replacements. Don't rebuild and don't have something that will bolt right in my car. I know they go to car shows and display items. Maybe I can get him thinking about going this route. Started out in the Ag/Heavy Equipment AC replacement and has just expanded from there. Link.
http://www.apairinc.com/
SC
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 4:05pm
I have used Classic Auto Air for dozens of AMC dryers, and a couple of York Compressors, never used an issue.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

I've searched on the forum, had no luck finding. Who is it or where is it that I can the receiver dryer rebuilt for my 70 AMX? Only thing I have left to replace in the AC system to get it operational. I forgot how hot these cars get without AC. I have a voltmeter/temp combo that plugs into the cig lighter. On these last few hot days in Iowa, temps were near 100F inside the car within 15 min. of drive time. Don't want to get the leather all sweated up!!
Steveo

Dont know if it interchanges but i have a rebuilt drier available I had done last year at classic auto who is local for me in Tampa. This was off my 73 Matador and has been in a sealed bag since. I have turned the Matador into pretty much a drag car and wont be needing it. Also have a condenser thats new in a box as well but again not sure if it fits an AMX but if you are interested let me know
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

I have used Classic Auto Air for dozens of AMC dryers, and a couple of York Compressors, never used an issue.

i have heard this same thing from quite a few forum members, thats why i went with them..  i wonder why my stuff came back all jacked up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic