TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sloppy pre- hurst 4 spd amx shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl2556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sloppy pre- hurst 4 spd amx shifter
    Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 9:57am
This shifter is very sloppy.  Doing research on this morning, I found that some say the pre-hurst 4 speed shifters are based off the ford units and that parts from those shifters should fit. Can someone verify this? Do the amc vendoes have parts for these or just the hurst stuff?
I think there is a spring that's missing that would keep it stable in neutral. It's like I have no resistance when moving the arm. Is there a rebuild kit for these?   Also, the reverse lockout is not working. Can it be fixed (for a reasonable cost)? I'll replace small parts but if the cost gets into the price of a hurst comp shifter, i'll do that instead

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 10:50am
no rebuild kits. The shifter is similar to the Ford design but I'm not sure what is identical between the two. The reverse lockout can be fixed for ~free if everything is still there- you can take it apart and replace the wire- requires brazing. There is a good parts breakdown shown in the AMC parts book so you can figure out what, if anything, you're missing. This shifter is not that bad if you 100% rebuild/restore it by welding up all the wear and making it like new and if you eliminate the rubber bushings in the handle mounting. Otherwise get a Hurst if you can find one since that design is superior- however you will also need to replace the shifter housing that fastens to the floor pan.

Edited by Steve_P - Jul/13/2017 at 10:53am
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 12:02am
most of the time the brass bushing on the shift rods wear out causing the excess slop and the rods them self yes the shifters are like the fords if you look at mid 60's ford it might be what your looking for
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
jl2556 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl2556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 6:14am
Cool....Thanks guys
jl2556 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jl2556 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 11:57am
Found this while searching online, ford parts will work, 5th post down:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-and-hurst-four-speed-shifter-humps_topic82159.html

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by mixed up mixed up wrote:

most of the time the brass bushing on the shift rods wear out causing the excess slop and the rods them self yes the shifters are like the fords if you look at mid 60's ford it might be what your looking for

What brass bushings?  There aren't any. 
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by jl2556 jl2556 wrote:

Found this while searching online, ford parts will work, 5th post down:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/amc-and-hurst-four-speed-shifter-humps_topic82159.html

Years ago, I purchased the Ford repro handle bolts and bushings and they were dimensionally different from AMC.  This surprised me.  I don't remember what was different, but they were different, and not by .005" .  So I'm skeptical there are many similarities if the handle bolts and bushings are not the same. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic