TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

wheel stud size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wheel stud size
    Posted: Jul/12/2017 at 4:13pm
Does anyone know if I can buy one for my 70 amx front rotor at any store ? Does anyone know the size needed for a 70 amx disc brake ?

Edited by 70amxvegas - Jul/13/2017 at 7:47am
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 11:47am
Not any store, but one would believe they are available at most auto parts stores.

I'm taking this from memory, 1/2 inch diameter x 20TPI  (fine thread) knurl size I believe is .624.

length might be around 2 inches, can't remember exactly.

Pull one out and take it with you when you go shopping.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 11:32pm
dunno about AMX specifically, but AMC used different stud press fit types in different years and hubs. whitehjavelinsst is right, pull one out and go shopping. we used to have a cooperative NAPA store that let me look through the catalog (so they wouldn't have to :-)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2017 at 3:47pm
great I have napa store near by . I have basic tools so can I hammer one out
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2017 at 5:28pm
If your car has the original disc brakes from 1970, it will have 4 piston bendix brakes. However, it is very common to swap to disc brakes that were easier to find parts for at the time. If you do have 4 piston calipers, these rotors use special wheel studs that where only used in that application. The AMC part vendors appear to have them on their websites. You may be able to find something that would fit well enough at the parts store though.
Beware when trying to remove the studs, they are swaged to the hub. If one isn't careful it is possible to ruin the hub, and it isn't included with a new rotor.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2017 at 8:55pm
local napa guy told me the book says the front and rear are the same ???But the book says I have front drums ?
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 12:41am
today, the books are nearly useless, unless they are old books (80's or earlier). there's been too much "catalog collapse" to be trustworthy. the best thing is to take one out, take it with you tro the store with a good caliper to measure whatever dimensions the catalog specs them in. it's hard to know sometimes until you get there. in the last decade i've started saving, long-term, one of each replaced part, specifically due to the fact that when i got to get one, today, they either don't exist or all the catalogs are wrong, wrong, wrong. metal doesn't lie.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2017 at 4:52pm
got it , just need to find a local guy with a press to punch it out .
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 4:47pm
No need to have them pressed out, unless your hammers only see nails and smash your fingers.

Take the hub off, place a larger than the stud deep socket behind the stud and place the whole thing on a solid surface, put an old lug nut on the stud so just a bit of thread is showing inside the nut, hit with hammer, a few blows and the stud drops loose. Remove the lug nut and the stud drops out. Same thing works for the rear, or you can borrow a lug stud remover/installer kit from a lot of the auto parts dealers, I don't think NAPA does that though.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic