TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > General AMC chat > General AMC Chat Australian Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pitman Arm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skymit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 4:24am
I went through this pitman arm/idler arm thing a couple of months ago. I have a AMI 70 Rebel with Power Steering. I ordered one from the US (APD).
This is what I ordered and they both fitted. 
   1  101 0801A  Idler Arm                                    $98.00   $98.00  
   1  101 0401C  Pitman Arm - PS                             $129.00  $129.00 

I also have a genuine parts book, so before I ordered I checked in it to see if any RHD parts cross referenced with the LHD parts.
The RHD idler arm did cross reference with a LHD idler arm, so thats why I ordered the one I did. I will take a picture of the parts book page and put it up later if I can figure how to do photos later.
There was no cross reference in the parts book for the pitman arm so I just ordered the US power steering one. I have them both bolted on the car now. 
I will have to double check the taper on the ball joint now though after reading 74Gremx's article. I pretty sure I checked it with verniers before I put it on but aren't sure now.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2017 at 4:34am
Hi, I guess you are converting to right hand drive. Unfortunately there is an odd difference between Aussie and US cars on suspension and steering.

Pitman arms are most noticeable with incompatibility.

I will search a few threads and post the links for you. WesternRed, and a few other Aussies will probably assist further on obtaining or finding a way to rebuild an old Aussie pitman arm.

Here is a more recent post... covers a bit just follow along, as it has links in finding help on the pitman arm.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/pitman-arm_topic88402_page1.html

Here is another more detailed thread covered on differences through the years and what can be done to get things right for you. Again this has links to follow.

http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/pitman-arm_topic74288_post672310.html

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/23/2017 at 4:42am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic