TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Restoration facts, question and answer. > Part Numbers, AMC Parts ID and cross-references
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'78 Gremlin Seat Swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berserker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '78 Gremlin Seat Swap
    Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 8:13pm
Hello, I have a '78 Gremlin that came with non-original front seats in it. They do not fit well and I would like to replace them. Original Gremlin seats would be ideal, but as I have had little luck finding any, I wanted to check and see if anyone knew of a different manufacturer whose seats would fit? I was told GM around the same year, but I am really not sure. Judging from the number of holes drilled through the floorboards there have been multiple seats already installed in her. Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 8:48pm
Best one that would fit is seats out of another AMC.  maybe find a pair out of a later AMC? Your car have a bench or buckets?....(Originally?)
Berserker View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berserker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 9:24pm
I am not sure what it had originally- it is a manual transmission so I am thinking it had buckets?? Would seats out of an early 80's eagle work? Rhanks for your help!
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 10:18pm
Eagle seats are unique because of the larger tunnel needed for the transfer case. Seats from a small body RWD car (Spirit, Hornet, etc) should bolt right in.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Hashtag View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hashtag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 10:41pm
Seats from a Late model Saturn fit well. I did the swap in a Gremlin The Saturn seats are small and proportional in size to the original seats . I used the original seat tracks and had to make a 1.5 in x 1.5 x 14 in square tube spacer. You can pick up a set from pull a part for less that  $100  in nice shape.  Pull a Part usually has 10 of them in stock so you can shop colors I skinned the back seat cushion from the Saturn and hat the back seat recovered with the fabric. Total cost  was only about $250    $100 for Pull a Part and approx $150 to recover back seat ( I helped).
blumontag View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blumontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 10:09am
Not sure if you're on Facebook, but there is an AMC Gremlin page with items for sale. Guy in New Jersey posted set of 76 bucket seats with tracks, plus backseat, for $400...in excellent shape.
72 Gremlin X
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by blumontag blumontag wrote:

Not sure if you're on Facebook, but there is an AMC Gremlin page with items for sale. Guy in New Jersey posted set of 76 bucket seats with tracks, plus backseat, for $400...in excellent shape.

Thats a good deal there ....I have 74 Javelin seats in my Spirit
bubbarules1958 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbarules1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 3:52pm
I bought parts from that guy. Ok deal and parts were packed with care.
Berserker View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berserker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 3:57pm
Wow, thanks for the info guys. Those original Grem seats would be awesome, but as I am on a budget I will look at the Saturn seats for now. The previous owner already jerry rigged some square tubing under a couple of the seat supports in the back so that shouldn't be too difficult to sqaure away. I will have to use rhe Saturn tracks as the originals are long gone...

Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic