TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Check Valve in Fuel Pump

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 3:17pm
OPPS.....SORRY, GO TO NEXT POST below FOR PICTURES of both Pumps.

Edited by Doug in New Freedom - Jul/24/2017 at 7:33pm
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 3:22pm

Here's pictures of the new M4656 Silver Pump  and the old O-2208 Black Pump.

Edited by Doug in New Freedom - Jul/24/2017 at 7:42pm
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 10:03am
The 0-2208 fuel pump in your picture has an arm that suspiciously looks like an arm for a Ford engine. However, I have seen some aftermarket AMC V8 fuel pump arms that look like that.

Here is an eBay listing for a pump that looks almost identical to yours with the same number on it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-OEM-CARTER-0-2208-FORD-MARINE-302-429CJ-460-MECHANICAL-FUEL-PUMP/272746484168
I have seen Chevy fuel pumps with that number (0-2208) on eBay as well.

The new pump you have has an arm that looks more like a later model OEM AMC fuel pump arm. All of the original 1968 fuel pumps I have seen so far had a similar appearing arm, but with a brass slider on it. The eccentrics are the same for an engine with or without the slider, so it is safe to interchange.
All original 1967-1968 fuel pumps I have seen also have an intergal fuel filter. The 1969 models eliminated the intergal fuel filter.

While it is likely your old pump is an AMC v8 fuel pump, I highly doubt that it is original to a 1968 model. My best guess is that it is an aftermarket Carter high performance pump.

Edited by akimmet - Jul/25/2017 at 11:33am
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 11:50am
Thanks Akimmet, that's great information. Not surprised that AMC may have been using a Ford, Carter Pump, as AMC bought parts from various sources. I'll be keeping the New M4656 as a spare, and get the O-2208 rebuilt over the Winter. Looking at the 2208 Ford pumps on ebay you posted, the used ones look pretty nasty and the one new in the box is way too expensive, plus having been on the shelf for who knows how long may have bad rubber seals by now. 

Talking to Carter Tech directly is a waste of time, you and the others here on this forum are the best source of information and I appreciate ya'll for helping me fit the peaces of this puzzle together.

Doug
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 11:36pm
Your pump old fuel pump is unlikely to be a Ford pump, or at least an unmodified Ford pump. I highly suspect your old pump is a M6906. After perusing eBay, 0-2208 is a common number to be found on many high volume fuel pumps.

After looking at some fuel pumps, a Ford pump looks like it would hit the distributor gear in an AMC engine. The AMC pumps have a offset to the lever, while a SBF or FE pump doesn't.

Edited by akimmet - Jul/25/2017 at 11:40pm
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Doug in New Freedom Doug in New Freedom wrote:

Here's pictures of the new M4656 Silver Pump  and the old O-2208 Black Pump.

Neither of these pumps are correct for a 68. Your AMX left Kenosha when new with a pump that has an integrated fuel filter on the bottom of the pump. All 68 v8 cars use the same filter cartridge. Sometime since then it has been changed to what it had when you got the car. What do you have for a fuel filter now?

Edit.... How much did you have to pay photobucket for your pictures to work?

Edited by maximus7001 - Jul/27/2017 at 9:28am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 11:10am
Interesting info Maximus. 

I bought the AMX, 13 years ago with the Carter 0-2208 pump on it and have driven about 8-10 thousand miles with no problems, other then it takes three cranks about 10 seconds each to pump gas to the carb and start. Once started I had to let it idol for a a couple minutes before shifting to drive with out stalling. We reset the carb/choke & fast idle to about 1000 rpm which helped with eliminate the stalling when shifting to drive. Idle drops when the choke and fast idle releases. Pump Check Valve failure is suspected to be causing the gas to flow out of the carb and pump back into the tank. Also the Carb Bowl fuel level seems low.

The question then remains what is the Carter fuel pump part number that has the filter on the bottom?
Carter does not know? 

I'm using an inline metal Fuel filler a head of the Carb. 

My Photo Bucket cost is included with my AOL.com Subscription which I pay for monthly and includes things like virus protection. They don't break it down to what the Photo Bucked cost is as part of the membership, but it hasn't gone up.

Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 5:56am
If you look here there are pictures of what your car came with when new:

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/amxjavelinfuelexhaust.htm

APD has their own part number system and will not sell you the correct pump for your car without receiving a correct same core first.

1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 9:34am
Yep Kennedy, and American Parts Depot, want a Core which if I had one I'd send it directly to a Carb Re-builder. The 0-2208 works and I'm reinstalling it, keeping the M-4656 as a possible spare should I need it. I'm moving the inline metal Fuel Filter, or buying a second one to go on the hose ahead  of the fuel pump to act as a filter and possibly as a fuel reserve to prime the pump on start up. Might help with faster start up if there is not a functioning Check Valve in the pump. Worth a shot and easy to remove if it doesn't work. 

Thanks everyone for you many replies.
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic