TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

encased driveshaft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 7:14pm
If anybody needs parts for these AM Torque Tube units (or other used parts for your mid-sixties AM Rambler cars) John's Salvage Seguin Tx has plenty of parts (Rambler Marlin/Classic and Ambassador) they pack and ship -call 'em.

http://johnssalvagecompany.net/

https://goo.gl/photos/n6UxJYnwTvzHP4t28
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 10:48pm
Ivor, you can probably "finesse" that dent out of the brake drum lip with careful application of ball pein hammer blows. That is once the drum is off. But be careful! If it snaps off could affect balance, as you noted. If the drum will still turn freely when off the ground you might want to just leave it alone.

That trans is very similar to the BW 65 that Jaguar used, so you might actually be in better shape than most of us over here. BW boxes weren't used in US cars after 71, though some imports still used them (and still do... but Aisin Warner...). Most of the Brit cars went to GM trannys for the US market, but Volvo used a later BW model through the early 80s. Few over here still remember much about the BW boxes though.

You can get parts from Northwest Transmission (www.nwtparts.com). They will ship over to you, but don't know what shipping cost would be.  
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2017 at 1:20am
if you got that 9000 ton axle out of there, the transmission will be like NOTHING. a feather pillow.

that axle is a boat anchor!

is the panhard bent? looks like it. it's just soft steel, it'll straighten.

the BW trans is old, but a fine design. reliable and repairable. just have bands adjusted every 3 - 5 years if you drive it regularly. i drove one hard for years, never had a lick of trouble from it.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2017 at 2:36pm
Brake drum is free, so I think you're right, I'll leave it dented as a souvenir.

Trans bands probably never been adjusted. Hmm.

Panhard rod bent? Yes... is it not supposed to be like that????
Have noticed that when the car goes around a right hand bend where the suspension is on rebound - bumpy road or a humpback bridge - there is a light clonk!! from the left side rear and the rear end seems to hop a little. But the Panhard rod is tight at both ends, the rubbers look fine.
Bent??? Oh Lordy, not another thing........

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 1:33am
yup, spozeta be strate. it will misalign the driveshaft, and with that one joint, and not a pair in constant velocity... it will cause driveshaft troubles for sure. also make it track funny, and lessen the jeep-like suspension travel. no good will come of it.

once, long ago, i had some idjit at a tire shop jack the car on the torque tube struts.  NOT. HAPPY.

if it's not one thing it's another.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2017 at 9:36am
Was hoping to collect the shaft tomorrow, but the chap at the shop hasn't even got it apart yet.
I lent him my TSM, and from reading it he says he has to pull the rear slip connector out of the shaft before he can get the shaft out of the tube. He says there is a puller in the parts list to do the job, but he will have to make one.

Now it may be that I didn't read it aright, but I thought the rear slip joint was part of the shaft and it was the front uj unit that pulls out of the shaft (interference fit), and not the rear?

Also, he thinks there's a clip holding the centre bearing in there??

It sounds as if he's read it thoroughly, but any comments welcome. Obviously I don't want it damaged taking it apart.
It's a V8 auto, I do recall that the shafts are different for the 6 and the manual.

He also mentioned that the reason I have the vibration is that the front yoke is cracked both sides and the bearings are rotating in the yoke, so it's just as well that I pulled it before more damage was done.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 7:06am
The slip coupler at the rear doesn't have to come off the shaft to pull the shaft out of the tube. The clip holding the bearing on holds it to the shaft, not inside the tube. The shaft and bearing should simply slide out the front of the tube once the tube is taken off the axle. The front yoke with u-joints will slid off the shaft without pulling the shaft from the tube. The rear coupler is a loose slid on fit to the pinion shaft of the axle, pressed on the end of the shaft. At least that the way the six cylinder models work. The two piece V-8 shaft might be different, hopefully someone who has pulled one recently (been years since I have) can interject if the V-8 is different. I don't think it is... don't have a big car TSM handy to check.

Edited by farna - Aug/02/2017 at 7:09am
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 9:29am
Thankyou, that's what I thought.
I've told him to push it out.

The TSM is a bit confusing. Like so many sets of instructions it was written by someone who already knew the subject so it makes assumptions and muddles the various types of propshaft.

Anyway, hope it comes out OK. I've asked Galvin to ship me over a rebuilt shaft in case the repair shop doesn't work out, but the problems they seem to have with overseas shipping, I don't know how soon that will happen.

Just want to get the car fixed, one way or the other.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2017 at 2:06pm
Well, Galvins just told me the company that did the shafts for them has decided without notice that they would not do them any more, hence Galvins have had to find another rebuilder and now they have an order backlog.
It seems the bad fairy is sitting on my shoulder.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2017 at 4:34am
I seem to have hijacked this thread, so continued in a new thread Repairing the V8 Ambo propshaft
http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic88888_post790482.html#790482

Funny that it's often referred to nowadays as a Drive Shaft. We in the UK refer to it as a prop shaft, so does the TSM. The term Driveshaft we apply to the half axles in an independent setup such as the TR6 or the Jaguar.
Funny how terminology drifts over time.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic