TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mini-split AC system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2017 at 10:16pm
It's amazing how many things - including AC units of all sorts - you find mold in or on. It's in the condensate lines of most AC units, anything that has moisture for any great length of time. Clean out the workings of your refrigerator......... dishwasher, etc. and you'll find disgusting slime/mold/black gunk that is actually mold. 
I hate dealing with window air units and air handlers for heat pumps, evaporator areas of central AC - i wear a mask and gloves. MOLD in most cases. Awfully hard to get around it without frequent cleaning. 
In our area we even get MOLD on the ground in the summer because it's so humid. It smells bad at times. Use a weed killer and you'll find the dead weeds are masses of slime a few weeks later - not dried up and crumbled away. 

At least now I don't have junk growing on car seats and book covers in my shop.
DetroitAMX View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DetroitAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2019 at 12:18am

Been looking at a cooling unit for my shop here in Detroit.
How would you say they function as a 'Air Conditioner' air cooling unit?
LouB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LouB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:09am
I bought a Mr Cool DIY 24K BTU Mini-Split to cool/heat my 3 Car garage/shop.  It's about the best investment i ever made for the shop (I live in Texas)- I now spend much more time working on my project, plus the humidity is controlled which helps with keeping the sheet metal from surface rusting between repair and sealing.  Can control unit from smart phone.  It's an outstanding unit.  My wife is pissed- she says my shop is more comfortable than our home!

I too experienced the drain tube getting grungy.  My unit had a tube extension connection about one foot from the unit so it was a convenient point to disconnect to service the tube.  I would fill a bucket full of hot water and some bleach.  I connected the tube to one side of a drill operated pump and the other into the bucket.  I ran the drill for 5 minutes running that hot water through the drain tube- it cleaned on all the junk real well.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic