TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - refurbished fuel pump leaking oil after two days!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

refurbished fuel pump leaking oil after two days!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: refurbished fuel pump leaking oil after two days!
    Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 12:19pm
I installed a refurbished carter fuel pump that i purchased from Kanter a few days ago for my 69 rambler (232). I went with a refurbished pump because I couldnt find a new mechanical pump with a vacuum booster for the wipers. The car worked great at first, it was a great improvement. Yesterday morning when i started the car i noticed the engine was running very poorly again. Maybe even worse than with the pump i had on previously. I popped the hood and noticed that there was quite a bit of oil collected at the bottom lip of the pump and also sprayed around that general area. None of the fuel lines were leaking. I noticed the bolts on the pump were a little loose but the problem persisted after i torqued then to spec. I did add a little under a quart of oil to the engine after i replaced the pump, as the dip stick was reading add. It also has been pretty hot around here. The pump has a month guarantee so i was thinking about having them send me a new one. But could the problem be caused by increased crank pressure from too much oil? I know the dip sticks are sometimes inaccurate. The leaking seems to occur at higher rpms so its hard to track exactly where its coming from. It looks like it might be at the seam by the seals. Ill post pics later. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 12:28pm
You could check the fuel pressure and the vacuum being put out by the pump, but I would just go ahead and take advantage of the one month warranty and send it back and get a new one.  The diaphragm in the pump could have ruptured.  That might be more likely to happen if they used an old off the shelf parts kit, but there is no way for you to know what they used anyway.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
dirtydan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

You could check the fuel pressure and the vacuum being put out by the pump, but I would just go ahead and take advantage of the one month warranty and send it back and get a new one.  The diaphragm in the pump could ha ve ruptured.  That might be more likely to happen if they used an old off the shelf parts kit, but there is no way for you to know what they used anyway.  Joe

I was thinking that too. I will def. send it in. Oddly enough the action of the wipers did not get affected. With my old pump they barely worked but even after the leak started the vacuum part of the pump seems to still be functioning. I was thinking i should change the oil anyway too just to make sure that I have the proper amount in there too
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by dirtydan dirtydan wrote:

Originally posted by pacerman pacerman wrote:

You could check the fuel pressure and the vacuum being put out by the pump, but I would just go ahead and take advantage of the one month warranty and send it back and get a new one.  The diaphragm in the pump could ha ve ruptured.  That might be more likely to happen if they used an old off the shelf parts kit, but there is no way for you to know what they used anyway.  Joe

I was thinking that too. I will def. send it in. Oddly enough the action of the wipers did not get affected. With my old pump they barely worked but even after the leak started the vacuum part of the pump seems to still be functioning. I was thinking i should change the oil anyway too just to make sure that I have the proper amount in there too

Changing the oil and replacing with a known quantity will indeed eliminate one unknown.  Be sure to check your dipstick too so that you know it is the proper one (correct oil level reading with full).  
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 10:03pm
overfilling with out will have no effect whatsoever. a quart over is nothing to worry about. at best it woudl increase splashing about, but that won't make thew pump suck oil.

check the vacuum hose between manifold and pump. if there is oil in it, the diaphragm is bad.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2017 at 9:56am
Check the V-8 forum for fuel pumps.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/fuel-pumps-wth_topic80356_page3.html
Read through page 4 also -- seems there is an oil seal that can pop out. Of course you may not have the same style pump...

As for the vent hole size needing to be bigger now than when these things were made... could be gas vapor. Formulation of gas has changed. Even if you have alcohol free gas it's VASTLY different from 1960s gasoline!  Today's gas vaporizes (and evaporates) so much easier that it may need more venting... but that's just a guess.
Frank Swygert
dirtydan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Check the V-8 forum for fuel pumps.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/fuel-pumps-wth_topic80356_page3.html
Read through page 4 also -- seems there is an oil seal that can pop out. Of course you may not have the same style pump...

As for the vent hole size needing to be bigger now than when these things were made... could be gas vapor. Formulation of gas has changed. Even if you have alcohol free gas it's VASTLY different from 1960s gasoline!  Today's gas vaporizes (and evaporates) so much easier that it may need more venting... but that's just a guess.

Hey thanks for the advice, that post was helpful. Im still going to try to have them send me a new pump. But if i can send the broken one in after i get the new one it will be a good opportunity to take it apart and see exactly whats going on.

dirtydan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2017 at 5:18pm
I juat realized that the carter pump thats on my 232 doesnt seem to have a vent hole. Maybe im just not seeing it? If i end up blowing through another referb pump maybe ill have better luck with getting a new model without the vaccum pump?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic