TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1976 DJ-5 Postal Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turglar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 DJ-5 Postal Jeep
    Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 2:12pm
Hey everyone!

New to the site, but was hoping this could be a place where I can find some answers from people far more experienced than I am.

Just recently picked up a 1976 DJ-5 Postal Jeep and I am in love with it, but I can already tell this is going to be a hard romance.

The Good:
+little to no rust anywhere on the Jeep
+runs and idles just fine
+42,000 miles on it
+majority of lights and electrics work on it too

The Bad:
-passenger side door window broken
-no locks on the car
-unsecured push button start
-tires have seen better days as well - all but 1 hold air, though
-windshield wiper motor just pooped out on me

The Ugly:
-when I start it up after it's been sitting, the car shifts fine from P to R to N and even into D, but when I start to drive a little bit, it seems like it looses teeth and pops out of drive. I then am not able to get the car into any gear except park.

I hoped it was a simple fix like low trans-fluid, but after filling the transmission fluid, it didn't fix the problem. SO now that it's not a simple fix, I'm coming to you guys. Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on? Even better - does anyone have any idea on where to start with this old Jeep? 

Thanks in advance!
Tony
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 4:13pm
Hi,  ...sounds like the trans needs an overhaul? -pull the pan off and see what you find?

Best money spent is to get 'the books' for your vehicle:

-Technical Service Manual

-Chilton's Repair Manual

Next, find out/see if there is a local AMC or Jeep club in your area.

If so, they will have leads to help you fix your vehicle.

eg; there might be someone in the AMC club who's a whiz at rebuilding transmissions

I bet the wiper motor itself could use an overhaul: clean it up re-lube it etc

If the electric motor needs brushes, there's lot of 'electric motor brushes' suppliers online.

You can splice in a secret toggle switch/kill switch into the ignition wire somewhere only you know about...

Jeep CJs and motorcycles have the same problem with no door locks.

Basically everything should be fixable.

If you put it back to it's original paint scheme, it could be a 'movie car'?

Edited by amcenthusiast - Jun/20/2017 at 4:47pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
turglar View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turglar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 7:34pm
Yeah, I was planning on diving into it this weekend to see what I could see.

I've already downloaded the Service Manual PDF file. Was going to basically use that to walk me through the trans.

I guess I can check out the ol' Facebook for stuff like that. I sure hope so, because sage advice from someone who's had their hands where mine'll go sure as heck beats a book any day of the week.

As of now, I'm basically disconnecting the ignition switch when I have to leave it for more than a day, but maybe installing something a bit more permanent would work.

All things are fixable with enough money and time haha.

And yeah, I never thought of that. Not sure how many films get shot in STL or anywhere in the Midwest, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind if I do a good enough job haha
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 8:24pm
Oh for sure the TSMs always show AM tools to do the jobs... I think it helps to have more than one book... I think your trans is an AM 727.

It may help to see if you can find a transmission parts supply business in your area & they will have a 727 specific service manual + any parts you might need 'right there'.

Since it's Mopar in origin, maybe you could find a Mopar club with trans wizzard for help if you need to overhaul? (just brainstorming)

IMO, pictures of the red, white and blue AM General postal trucks look great when combined with pictures of those special edition red, white and blue cars AMC made... even like one half of the story is not complete without the other... it's just that AM General made their RWB vehicles full production!
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2017 at 9:34am
I have a 74 DJ.
I have the door glass that you need. It is flat glass and a local glass shop can cut one for you and its not that expensive. I bet the door glass, left and right are the same. Might just have to turn it around.

Yes, your jeep has a 727 trans so no big issue there. A lot of rebuilders out there.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic