TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

401 motor mount bolt size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dbouzas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 401 motor mount bolt size
    Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 10:47am
Hi I need help finding the size of the bolts that bolt the engine mount to the block. I have the brackets with new mounts but when I got my javelin the motor was already out and striped.

Thanks Dion
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 11:13am
3/8"-16
AMC RICK 401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC RICK 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 11:31am
bolt length is 3/4 "
1969 SC Rambler
1974 Jeep CJ5 Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 TH400
Tube Chassis Dirt/Sand Drag Racer w/401 Powerglide
"We are not here for a long time but we are here for a good time"
Dbouzas View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dbouzas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 12:56pm
Thanks guys, I just got the engine and trans together, I'm gonna run and find some bolts for the motor mounts then I'll come back and slip the torque converter bolts on. I took a picture but not sure how to post it yet.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 10:37pm
You'll find that just about every bolt on an AMC engine is 3/8x16 it seems. I have boxes full of them!

As for pictures, the easiest way I've found is to get a Photobucket account and upload all of your photos there. When you want to post one, Photobucket gives you an IMG link that you just paste into your thread here and the picture pops right up in your thread. And it's free.

Edited by Red20 - Jun/20/2017 at 10:40pm
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
Dbouzas View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dbouzas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 1:37pm

Thanks again, I was able to get some grade 8 bolts from Lowes. got the mounts on and the engine and trans together. its in the car but I still need to set the motor on the mounts then install the trans cross member. I still need to track down some parts, radiator and fans, driveshaft and yoke, fuel cell, then some body parts to make her look good again. I was posting my progress on facebook but I deleted that in attempt to keep my head out of my phone all the time.

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2017 at 2:11pm
That Canton pan and those billet pulleys look pretty nice on there. Nice looking shop area too. Ditch Facebook and start a build thread here. Then the AMC guys can follow along and enjoy your progress!
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic