TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

77 hornet turn signal/reverse light problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 77 hornet turn signal/reverse light problem
    Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 1:09pm
hi, got an issue with my 77 hornet. reworking the dash, had everything working, lights, brake lights, flashers, turn signals, etc. All of a sudden the turn signals quit. Dig in a little, back up lights also quit. flashers still work, headlights ok, dash lights ok, courtesy lights ok. All four bulbs are ok, (work with flasher), replaced back up bulbs a couple weeks ago, checked grounds. Not the flasher unit itself, tried three others. Yes I have a (76) TSM.
Am I missing something? thank you, gz
george z
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 12:33pm
hi, well narrowing down, its NOT, the flasher, reverse bulbs, turn signal bulbs, or fuse(s). Starting to suspect backup light switch on trans (T5). back at it later! thanks gents, gz
george z
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2017 at 11:49am
hi, no interest in this thread, but..just for the sake of closure, problem was a poor/intermittent connection at the trans (T5), reverse light switch. Well original harness is 40+ years old. The pigtail for this is hard to find locally, but available from Ron Francis, #PG-055, through Sumitt. Note that this is the pigtail for a MANUAL trans, not the more common auto trans Safety Neutral Switch. All is well again:), thank you, gz
george z
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2017 at 8:54am
Man o man. All that tracing stuff down sounds like a pain in the butt. One of those weird glitches that a TSM wouldn't have told you about. I'm sure it helped for tracking down all the wires and such. Glad you got it figured out. The joys of liking these
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2017 at 9:14pm
hi, and thank you, sir, for responding. yes, it was a pain in the butt, but, well, that's what it's about, I now have a complete understanding of the relationship between the turn signals and backup lights on a 77 Hornet, as well as some brand new, properly routed wiring. Bit of trivia...the turn signal flasher, in 77, was a (baby blue) plastic one, that had a nub on the end that fit into a hole on the drivers side underdash sheetmetal. Why? The sheetmetal acted as a sounding board, and amplified the sound of the flasher. needless to say, that flasher is now unobtainium,(afaik), but, by the 80's AMC actually had a little metal bracket, that fits into that same hole, and that perfectly grasps the now available flashers (#552), and functions the same way, to amplify the sound. While messing around with this,(I have an 82 Eagle parts car), I pulled that little bracket from the Eagle, fit right in the 77 hole, grasped the 552 flasher, amplified the sound just right, not too quiet to forget about, but not too loud to be annoying.
Is life good or what!!!!! :)
So, the moral of this story is, no, AMC did NOT design the flasher to just hang anywhere in free air under the dash, but actually engineered a proper location for it, with a purpose.
Damn, education is a wonderful thing! This will not get me a Nobel prize, but, i learned something new over these last couple of weeks, small thing, but cool nevertheless.
thank you, gentlemen, gz
george z
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic