TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ignition switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ignition switch
    Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 5:12pm
Hi everyone : first of all i'd like to thank the AMC forum for accepting my membership and then greet all members.
I'm the happy owner of a 1974 AMC Javel 360 V8 but i have aproblem with the ingnition switch : car starts without key by just turning the two wings on.
Shall i substitute the cylinder and in this case which model ? Or is it possible to repair the existing one ?
Thanks in advance for your tips
Max Smile
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 5:32pm
I take it you purchased the Javelin from someone and it works that way.

Well there are a few ways you can repair your existing ignition key cylinder. One is obtain key tumblers and springs if missing, or obtain a replacement ignition tumblers and re key it by changing around the tumblers to make it work with existing door key.

The cylinder can be removed by removing the steering wheel, clip, lock plate, and spring, then push through the rectangle hole where the end of the key would be inside the cylinder and column, with a small flat blade to press the tab to release the cylinder.

It is a GM column, so the cylinder barrels are interchangeable. Though the keyway may have a slightly different cut not sure but GM keys can fit AMC locks, but not perfectly as I recall.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Max57 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 5:42pm
Wink many thanks for swift reply
Max57 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 6:22pm
Hi dude
to answer your question i bought the car last year at an auction.
Car sways all the way, motor giggles and there is oil leakage from the motor, steering gear and the gearbox.Engine coolant also leaks and occasionally a driveline misspelling.
Car is tired and needs some fresh up

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 6:41pm
Wow seems like a bit of parts searching as well. Not many Javelins out in your location. Be careful about the steering box, many find it difficult to obtain rebuilt made for AMC pulley. They end up with the GM press on version.

Probably best to rebuild it yourself if your able.

Drive shaft can be shipped overseas from a seller. Just let them know what tranny you have.

Springs can be had by Eaton spring company. Motor may just need a rebuilt carb and a full tune up, wires included.

Keep posting to get 30 points. Never hurts to ask questions about various things that you need to know about your car. Each section allows for best responce as some areas have their own experts and such.

Once you get 30 points you can post pictures.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Max57 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 7:45pm
Thanks for your response. Am not much of a mechanic myself so will wait until the winter to fix a few things. At the moment am njoying it the way it is and attending car meetings around this area. Very popular in Sweden. Nice talking to you and hope to be in touch soon again. Max
rons View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 7:58pm
I was under the impression that with column AMC ignition locks (1970-88) the key can be removed in any position. In order to lock the column the key needs to be in the fully turned  (top to driver) and at the same time pushing down the lever next to the keyway. This was discussed on this forum last year, no?? That's how my '78 Concord operates.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 8:06pm
My 73-1/2 and 71, and my cousin's 74 had a key lock lever that kept the key in place until you depress the lever and turned the key to lock position.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
javelinman74 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javelinman74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2017 at 10:19pm
Got it, ignition switch is module plugs into the wiring harness under the dash.  Ignition switch key is fine.  Turns out it was only $13 delaying the game.  Not sure how the ignition switch became a Javelin, but welcome to the group, there's a lot of smart and friendly guys here ready to  help.
Blessings
Richard
www.a70sthingautomobilia.com
It Used To Be an AMC Thing...
     No One Understands!
1982 Eagle SX/4
Daily Drivers since 1995!
mc5fan1968 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc5fan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 10:07am
GM ignition locks have an extra groove to fit in the top of the key. An AMC key blank will not fit unless ground to accommodate the lock. My Rebel SST had a GM lock cylinder when I got it. I replaced it with a correct, NOS lock cylinder.
mc5fan@msn.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic