TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ROAD RACE 360 HEADER SIZE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2017 at 12:16pm
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
gmachinedart1 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmachinedart1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 9:26pm
Hi everyone, it's been a while but did end up with thorley 1.75 headers. New engine was dynoed with them. Didn't quite make what I was hoping for ( do tbeu ever?)but should be a stout little road race package. I'll try and attach dyno sheet and get some specifics on engine later.

Thanks for the input
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2017 at 9:37pm
Nice torque curve from 3500-5700 rpm!! I prefer to build something that doesn't turn that much and still has a good flat torque curve, but wouldn't build as much hp (or torque) as what you have. 
Frank Swygert
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 5:45am
Originally posted by gmachinedart1 gmachinedart1 wrote:

Hi everyone, it's been a while but did end up with thorley 1.75 headers. New engine was dynoed with them. Didn't quite make what I was hoping for ( do tbeu ever?)but should be a stout little road race package. I'll try and attach dyno sheet and get some specifics on engine later.

Thanks for the input
I.M.O. something is wrong with your combination because you are way down on power... Just have to figure out what it is... The cam you selected should be an easy 500HP and the CFM should be able to support 550+.... Just curious what intake and carb did you select? I am surprised no one jumped into help.... 

Edited by jtsllc1 - Nov/23/2017 at 6:20am
JTSLLC1
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmachinedart1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 7:08am
I do agree that it is down on horse power and that i was expecting a bit more. I think the torque is pretty good. I will get details of build this weekend. The carb is a Holley 750hp , air gap intake and cam is around 255@50 560 lift. We did downsize on the cam at the last minute.

Justin
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 10:59am

I do agree that it is down on horse power and that i was expecting a bit more. I think the torque is pretty good. I will get details of build this weekend. The carb is a Holley 750hp , air gap intake and cam is around 255@50 560 lift. We did downsize on the cam at the last minute.

Justin

The Torque is pretty good.... You would pickup more with 1 5/8 headers... Did you try an open spacer on the Air Gap? Maybe ask him where he degree the Cam in at, also what the Lobe separation is 106,108,110 ?

I just got done playing with a 365.11 CI and with iron heads only flowing 256 CFM,non ported intake, a cam with 254/258 @.05 LS106 installed at 102.5 and 1 5/8 headers. We hit 489.7 HP @ 6400 RPM with a nice flat curve of 479HP @ 5700 RPM and held strong with 479 HP @ 6800 RPM.  So that is 1.914 HP per 1 CFM with a cam that is ground for .842 lifters so there was allot left on the table along with the heads being shy on CFM.... So based on this you should be in the 500+ range. I plan on going back with heads that flow 296 CFM just to see if the 1.914 number remains constant 1.914 HP X 296 CFM=566HP.... So even if you are at 270CFM you should be in the 516HP range ...Power Nation TV was 477Hp @7000 RPM with out of box Eddy heads, a torker, 1 3/4 Headers and a 750. You might want to consider putting a non ported Torker on and see what happens....

JTSLLC1
oleblue69 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oleblue69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2017 at 10:55am
CONTROL FREAKS has a very nice set of 1 5/8s built for them by Headmen headers..........
yeah smaller for quick torque and auto cross courses, track other then full bore DRAG racing seem to work well...........again intake, compression ratio, heads, all input to make the whole..........
JS
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmachinedart1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2017 at 9:35am
Camshaft is an Erson E710501...108Lobe center. We did run a 1" open spacer during dyno test   on the air gap . Unfortunately I dont have the installed centerline info available yet. I dont know why the engine required so much timing lead either. Anyway I will most likely run this engine as is and see how it performs. I may try the torker some day but don't know if that's gonna get me another 30hp . I think the camshaft is a little smaller than i would have liked. The info I was given on the heads is they flowed 296 @550lift...300@600lift with 208's. I do agree something is off in this combo , but again, I will probably run as is for now. I've got a ton of other stuff to do to the car to get it track ready.

Thanks
Justin
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2017 at 7:14am

Camshaft is an Erson E710501...108Lobe center. We did run a 1" open spacer during dyno test   on the air gap . Unfortunately I dont have the installed centerline info available yet. I dont know why the engine required so much timing lead either. Anyway I will most likely run this engine as is and see how it performs. I may try the torker some day but don't know if that's gonna get me another 30hp . I think the camshaft is a little smaller than i would have liked. The info I was given on the heads is they flowed 296 @550lift...300@600lift with 208's. I do agree something is off in this combo , but again, I will probably run as is for now. I've got a ton of other stuff to do to the car to get it track ready.

Thanks
Justin

I looked up the E710501 and it only has .544 lift so even though your heads flow 296CFM@.550 and 300 CFM @.600 so you do not have enough lift to utilize the flow of the heads. I ran Ersons E710000 because it was the fastest 2 day turn around for a cam to meet the power range and meet the rules, I call it the base line cam. If you called Erson with your spec's I'am sure they would recommend a cam or call Bullet etc. I.M.O. I think you will be surprised when you get the engine combination right by either switching the heads to match the cam and intake or a cam and intake which match the heads. I agree enjoy running the engine the way it is there is always time to go back and try a different combo if you choose to.
  • Advance: 
  • Application: 
    • 1966-1991 AMC V8 290-401
  • Brand: 
    • Erson Cams
  • Cam Type: 
    • HYDRAULIC FLAT TAPPET
  • CID: 
  • Duration @ .050: 
    • 242/246
  • Duration Advertised: 
    • 286/294
  • Grind Number: 
    • HI FLOW AM
  • Gross Lift: 
    • .544/.544
  • Lobe Center: 
  • Make: 
    • American Motors
  • Part Name: 
    • Engine Camshaft
  • RPM Range: 
    • 3000-6500
  • Valve Lash: 
    • .000/.000

JTSLLC1
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmachinedart1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 7:58pm
I agree.....thanks for all the input.

Justin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic