TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

power master starter solenoid wiring ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: power master starter solenoid wiring ?
    Posted: May/25/2017 at 2:41pm
I have a 83 spirit. I want to remove the stock solenoid and use the starter mounted solenoid. The switch wire goes to the starter mounted solenoid. Will the ignition wire need to be connected to anything ?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 3:10pm
Basically the yellow wire will put 12v bypassing the resistor wire if your oem ignition has a resistance wire for the coil.

You can put the yellow wire to an automotive relay connected to switch with 12v from the battery. Reason is if ignition draws a high enough current, it may disable the starter solenoid from allowing the starter to run. Usually most relays and solenoids have a difficult time switching when the input to switch has to split power to another source. This is because the length and gauge of the wire limiting how much can flow through the path. Look at it as a double sink vs a single sink with a spray nozzle just able to fill both double sinks. The single sink will fill faster because flow is not shared.

It may work without the relay, but best practices tell me to add it and have it work dependably and function like the original solenoid.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
jimd View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 7:29am
You're suggesting to connect the yellow ignition wire to the switch wire and run the combined wire to the starter?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 7:46am
Technically it would, but the difference is the original solenoid uses an internal connection from starter side of the output. Since the starter power is so far away with the new setup. It would be safer by connecting a relay from the battery and have it switched by a jumper to the starter solenoid start wire, which will keep e ignition from loading down the input to the solenoids activation. A solenoid does not take much current, but if the voltage drops by ignition activation from the post, it may cause a weak contact to provide voltage to the starter. It may not show up instantly noticable, but after time, you could make the solenoid faulty, by either burning up the contact plate, by arcing from slow or weak contact.

It's all electronic theory, but I am looking at long term reliability. After all who knows a few years you may replace the solenoid and not know why or how things interact.

The reason the GM type starter does not have an ignition feed, is because HEI does not require the ignition resistance wire bypass to start reliably. If electronic ignition, or changing to a performance coil, that ignition circuit is not needed, and would be removed, as the resistance wire would be replaced by a switched battery feed from the ignition switch.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 8:09am
One important thing... Just realised AMC does not use a diode in the resistance wire. So connecting the ignition to the start wire will cause the starter solenoid to stay active and starter to keep running.

So, do not connect the ignition wire to the starter wire.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
jimd View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 8:33am
Thanks for the help.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 7:16am
Dunno if it is the complete reason cause I changed the engine as well, but when I rewired to get rid of the stock solenoid the car spins and starts way better now. I have the battery in the trunk, so doing that also got rid of about 3 feet of cable, which helps as well. The car used to turn very slowly when warm; it always started, but made me nervous. Now it turns way better.

It has an MSD, which does not care about the voltage boost so no need for the extra wire. The whole thing really cleaned up the engine compartment cause the old wiring was a bit of a mess, and this got rid of a lot.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2017 at 7:24am
I understand starting Is easier. Mainly the solenoid being on the starter. The extra run of cable can act like a resistor when the starter is hot and able to draw more current than what the cable can provide. Cutting the middle man is a good thing. Considering the starter myself, but I think by moving the stock solenoid near the firewall and Shortening the starter cable by 1/2 should be a good improvement with starting issues with existing parts on hot engines.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
jimd View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 10:31am
I definitely like the smaller than stock starter. My 83 spirit is a wire lined mess. Way too many wires under the hood. I removed the stock solenoid, moved the battery to the back. Now I want to start eliminating unnecessary wires
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2017 at 9:55pm
I completely re-wired the engine compartment and integrated everything. Before it had been converted from 6 to 8 and extra wires run, then MSD, fans etc added. Wiring was a real mess. Used a fusible link from the starter to power everything for safety, and as able to take a huge amount of wires out with some thought. The only thing I could not arrange was the stock fusible link for the horn (69 Rambler) so I used an inline fuse for that. Put the circuit breaker for the electric fan in a location I can use it for timing light power. Even have back-up lights for the first time ever.

Really pleased with how it all worked. Actually saved a few pounds, way cleaner and neater, safer, and starts better. It's all good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic