TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SOS!! 67 Rambler Rebel Steering Wheel won't go on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

SOS!! 67 Rambler Rebel Steering Wheel won't go on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayramb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOS!! 67 Rambler Rebel Steering Wheel won't go on
    Posted: May/24/2017 at 10:55pm
I had to replace my signal switch cam, the wiring harness. 
I put it together as the TSM says, but the steering wheel won't go on!

I put the steering wheel on and it seems like the steering shaft 'dropped' in or something. All I did was that the automatic column shift bowl off and the mid part for the signal switch. 

I've tried for 2 days. Everything, including the steering bowl is down on the column where it should be because I spray painted it 8 years ago and I now where the paint line is. The bowl matches right up to it. I have it all assembled to the TSM, but the wheel matches flush with the signal came middle part. The steering shaft doesn't even poke out with threads nor does it go into the grooves. 

It just doesn't make sense! I'm so angry. I was going to go out of town for the weekend on an 8 hour drive. I really need to know, does they shaft, can that drop down and get compressed somehow? 
Jayson Helenske
See my webiste! www.1967AMCRamblerRebel.weebly.com
Current Cars:
1967 Rambler Rebel 770 290 V8 4-barrel and Paint - Marina Aqua.
1966 MARLIN 327 V8 4 barrel and Paint-Med. Cortez Aqua
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2017 at 9:02am
You may have reassembled in the wrong order. First on, heavy spring. Second, the cancelling cam, Third, the steering wheel. You will need to press down hard on the steering wheel to compress the spring and engage the splines.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic